Error in mailform

Christopher Brandsdal

I have made a asp mailform.

What is wrong?

I get this error:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'

Permission denied

/fh/medlemsnett/send_mail.asp, line 26

Line 26 looks like this:

objCDONTS.Send

Here is the code:

<%

Dim name, email, message, messageSubject

name = request.form("name")

email = request.form("email")

message = request.form("message")

messageSubject = request.form("Meldingstittel")

Dim objCDONTS ' Email object

Dim strFromName ' From persons' real name

Dim strFromEmail, strToEmail ' Email addresses

Dim strSubject, strBody ' Message

Dim misccompo

strSubject = Request.Form("Emne")

strFromName = Session("Navn")

strFromEmail = Session("Epost")

strToEmail = Trim(Request.Form("til"))

strBody = Trim(Request.Form("Melding"))

Set objCDONTS = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")

objCDONTS.From = strFromName & " <" & strFromEmail & ">"

objCDONTS.To = strToEmail

objCDONTS.Subject = messageSubject & strSubject

objCDONTS.Body = "--------------------------------------" & vbcrlf & vbcrlf
& strbody & vbcrlf & vbcrlf & vbcrlf &
"--------------------------------------------------------------" & vbcrlf &
"MESSAGE ENDS: End of message"

objCDONTS.Send

Set objCDONTS = Nothing

response.redirect "default.asp"

response.end

%>

Roland Hall

:
: I have made a asp mailform.
:
: What is wrong?
:
: I get this error:
:
: Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'
:
: Permission denied
:
: /fh/medlemsnett/send_mail.asp, line 26

what are the rights in this folder?

--
Roland

This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
or fitness for a particular purpose.
-Technet Knowledge Base-
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;kbhowto&sd=TECH&ln=EN-US&FR=0
-Technet Script Center-
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/scriptcenter/default.asp
-WSH 5.6 documentation download-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9&displaylang=en
-MSDN Library-
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp

Christopher Brandsdal

Roland Hall said:
:
: I have made a asp mailform.
:
: What is wrong?
:
: I get this error:
:
: Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'
:
: Permission denied
:
: /fh/medlemsnett/send_mail.asp, line 26

what are the rights in this folder?
666

--
Roland

This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
or fitness for a particular purpose.
-Technet Knowledge Base-
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;kbhowto&sd=TECH&ln=EN-US&FR=0
-Technet Script Center-
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/scriptcenter/default.asp
-WSH 5.6 documentation download-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9&displaylang=en
-MSDN Library-
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp

Christopher Brandsdal

I tried to change it to 777 but that did not help...
must be something else..

Roland Hall

:
: I tried to change it to 777 but that did not help...
: must be something else..

Ya', it might be that *nix doesn't support VBScript unless you're running
Chili!Soft. You're referring to *nix permissions so what is actually
running on the server? OS/Web

--
Roland

This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
or fitness for a particular purpose.
-Technet Knowledge Base-
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;kbhowto&sd=TECH&ln=EN-US&FR=0
-Technet Script Center-
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/scriptcenter/default.asp
-WSH 5.6 documentation download-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9&displaylang=en
-MSDN Library-
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp

Christopher Brandsdal

hehe I'll just use persits mail :)
I'ts a 2000 server, but I'm using cute ftp tu log on the ftp to upload...
Think there is something wrong with the component.. the code runs great on
another server. The persits runs great!

Ray at

Roland Hall said:
That would explain the confusion on my part. Wondering why you would want
to use CDONTS instead of ASPEmail anyway.

Why use a third party prodcut when there's a first party one right there
already? That's how I look at it, anyway.

Ray at work

Ray at

Roland Hall said:
:
: Why use a third party prodcut when there's a first party one right there
: already? That's how I look at it, anyway.

Isn't it true that CDONTS has been deprecated to make way for CDOSYS? Also,
CDONTS doesn't come with W2K3, does it, although I believe you can install
it on there but with CDOSYS, why would you?

Okay, true, but what I meant was just using native component vs. third
party. :]
Also, I thought the IUSR needed rights at the \inetpub\mailroot.

I believe it's just the pickup directory, because .Send writes a file to
there. Maybe everyone should just start formatting their Web servers in
FAT32 and be done with it. ;]

Ray at work

Ray at

Fair enough. But, specifically re: ASPEmail, doesn't CDONTS require an SMTP
server where ASPEmail doesn't? And it appears there is a long list of
features in ASPEmail over CDONTS.

Well, they'd both require an SMTP server. But with CDONTS, your Web server
has to be the SMTP server. You cannot use an external SMTP server with
CDONTS, AFAIK. But, yes, ASPMail I'm sure has many additional features over
CDONTS. CDONTS is old and weak! :]

I would agree though that for basic
needs, CDONTS would be sufficient and Microsoft does also give you an SMTP
server.
:
: I believe it's just the pickup directory, because .Send writes a file to
: there. Maybe everyone should just start formatting their Web servers in
: FAT32 and be done with it. ;]

I read an article at 4guysfromrolla.com that referenced only the mailroot.
Perhaps that is their pickup directory.

Well, I'm sure that this would work 99.999% of the time, since the pickup
directory will inherit permissions unless someone specifies otherwise.
I'm searching for that NTFS->FAT-32 conversion utility right now.

Better yet, go with FAT16. Might as well switch from CDO back to CDONTS too
then. ;]

Ray at work

Roland Hall

:
: "Roland Hall" wrote:
: > Isn't it true that CDONTS has been deprecated to make way for CDOSYS?
: Also,
: > CDONTS doesn't come with W2K3, does it, although I believe you can
install
: > it on there but with CDOSYS, why would you?
:
: Okay, true, but what I meant was just using native component vs. third
: party. :]

Fair enough. But, specifically re: ASPEmail, doesn't CDONTS require an SMTP
server where ASPEmail doesn't? And it appears there is a long list of
features in ASPEmail over CDONTS. I would agree though that for basic
needs, CDONTS would be sufficient and Microsoft does also give you an SMTP
server.

: > Also, I thought the IUSR needed rights at the \inetpub\mailroot.
:
: I believe it's just the pickup directory, because .Send writes a file to
: there. Maybe everyone should just start formatting their Web servers in
: FAT32 and be done with it. ;]

I read an article at 4guysfromrolla.com that referenced only the mailroot.
Perhaps that is their pickup directory.

I'm searching for that NTFS->FAT-32 conversion utility right now.

Roland

Roland Hall

:

: > I'm searching for that NTFS->FAT-32 conversion utility right now.
:
: Better yet, go with FAT16. Might as well switch from CDO back to CDONTS
too
: then. ;]

Don't laugh. I still have an original IBM XT and it runs. Current date is
Jan. 22, 1904.

Roland Hall

:
: "Roland Hall" wrote:
: > Don't laugh. I still have an original IBM XT and it runs. Current date
: is
: > Jan. 22, 1904.
:
: I'm sorry, but I'm "LOL'ing." :]