Error installing all gems on Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by William C., Dec 8, 2010.

  1. William C.

    William C. Guest

    Ok, I've run into an issue running the gem install command on Windows
    Vista. Doesn't matter which gem I install (sqllite, rails, rspec,...) I
    get the same error. I can't figure out how to pass a debug switch to gem
    to get more info and the error message is rather vague. Suggestions?

    [C:\] ruby --version
    ruby 1.9.2p0 (2010-08-18) [i386-mingw32]

    [C:\] gem -v
    1.3.7

    [C:\] gem install sqlite3-ruby

    <snip>

    Successfully installed sqlite3-ruby-1.3.2-x86-mingw32
    1 gem installed
    Installing ri documentation for sqlite3-ruby-1.3.2-x86-mingw32...
    ERROR: While executing gem ... (TypeError)
    can't convert nil into String

    William C., Dec 8, 2010

  2. William C.

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Dec 7, 10:54 pm, "William C." <> wrote:
    > Ok, I've run into an issue running the gem install command on Windows
    > Vista. Doesn't matter which gem I install (sqllite, rails, rspec,...) I
    > get the same error. I can't figure out how to pass a debug switch to gem
    > to get more info and the error message is rather vague. Suggestions?
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Successfully installed sqlite3-ruby-1.3.2-x86-mingw32
    > 1 gem installed
    > Installing ri documentation for sqlite3-ruby-1.3.2-x86-mingw32...
    > ERROR:  While executing gem ... (TypeError)
    >     can't convert nil into String

    can you try "gem install sqlite3-ruby --no-ri --no-rdoc"

    Skip the documentation generation and see if that works.

    Dunno why is failing on your end, but updating rdoc could solve it
    (gem install rdoc --no-ri --no-rdoc)

    --
    Luis Lavena

    Luis Lavena, Dec 8, 2010

  3. William C.

    William C. Guest

    Luis Lavena wrote in post #967284:
    > On Dec 7, 10:54pm, "William C." <> wrote:
    >> ERROR: While executing gem ... (TypeError)
    >> can't convert nil into String
    >>

    > can you try "gem install sqlite3-ruby --no-ri --no-rdoc"
    >
    > Skip the documentation generation and see if that works.
    >
    > Dunno why is failing on your end, but updating rdoc could solve it
    > (gem install rdoc --no-ri --no-rdoc)

    Luis thanks, you pointed me in the right direction. I followed your last
    suggestion first which eventually gave me the real error, a non-absolute
    home error.

    I found the solution to that error here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/rubyinstaller/msg/9158aa07e6d71da8?pli=1

    In my case, my system defaults to having its homedrive pointing to a
    non-existent H: drive when I'm not VPN'd in. Changing it to C: solved my
    problem.

    Thanks again.

    William C., Dec 9, 2010