Error installing cx_Oracle

AMC

Hi,

From last months I am using Python for making small but useful tools
for my team members. I am doing my development in windows machine and
running the program in Solaris machine where Python 2.6.2 is
installed.

In one of my program file I had to use the module "cx_Oracle".For that
I have installed the module in my windows machine and done the
programming. But the finished program does not run in Solaris machine,
may be because "cx_Oracle" was not installed there.Following is the
error shown.

root@access1:/home/amohan/python/work/broadcast_report/bin$ ./
runsql.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./runsql.py", line 3, in <module>
import cx_Oracle
ImportError: ld.so.1: isapython2.6: fatal: /opt/webstack/python/lib/
python2.6/site-packages/cx_Oracle.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
root@access1:/home/amohan/python/work/broadcast_report/bin$

I tried installing "cx_Oracle" with easy_install utility (I am not
strong in Solaris). While installing I am getting some error as shown
below.

root@access1:/$ easy_install cx_Oracle
Searching for cx-Oracle
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/cx_Oracle/
Reading http://cx-oracle.sourceforge.net
Reading http://starship.python.net/crew/atuining
Best match: cx-Oracle 5.0.4
Downloading http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/cx-oracle/cx_Oracle-5.0.4.tar.gz?download
Processing cx_Oracle-5.0.4.tar.gz
Running cx_Oracle-5.0.4/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/
easy_install-FkDQn5/cx_Oracle-5.0.4/egg-dist-tmp-Ogg94s
"SessionPool.c", line 200: warning: integer overflow detected: op "<<"
ld: fatal: library -lpython2.6: not found
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to build/
lib.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.6-10g/cx_Oracle.so
error: Setup script exited with error: command '/opt/webstack/python/
lib/python2.6/pycc' failed with exit status 1
root@access1:/$

I have searched for a solution everywhere and tried many things but
didn't work. Can somebody help me in this?

Thanks,
AMC.

James Mills

[...]

Install the python development libraries.

cheers
James