Error installing gem

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by cypher.dp@gmail.com, Jun 23, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello everybody !

    I just tried to install the "neuro"-gem. But the install process fails
    with an exception:

    C:\Windows\system32>gem install neuro -y
    ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)

    ruby extconf.rb install neuro -y
    creating Makefile
    E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/mkmf.rb:1102: warning: global variable `$preload'
    not initialized

    nmake
    The command "nmake" couldn't be found.

    Gem files will remain installed in
    E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/neuro-0.4.0 for inspection.
    Results logged to E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/neuro-0.4.0/ext/gem_make.out

    Has anybody why this error occurs and how to solve it ???
    Or are there other neuro-network / backpropagation extensions ?

    Dominik

    , Jun 23, 2007

  2. Axel Etzold Guest

    Hello Dominik,

    the error you get is due to the fact that the
    gem you are trying to install is building the software
    from source code.
    This is usually done in three steps -

    configure/make/make install ...
    but the Windows version of nmake is not installed on your computer.
    You can install a compiler, such as MinGW :

    http://www.mingw.org/

    on your system to do the compilation.

    This can be useful in many cases anyway...
    I haven't worked with specific backpropagation software, but
    if you want to use Ruby for scientific work, some general
    numerics software such as Ruby-GSL (http://rb-gsl.rubyforge.org/)
    which is included in the one-click installer for Windows

    http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=167

    may be helpful.

    Best regards,

    Axel

    Axel Etzold, Jun 23, 2007

    Thanks for the answer.
    I'll have a look for it.

    Dominik

    2007/6/23, Axel Etzold <>:
    > Hello Dominik,
    >
    > the error you get is due to the fact that the
    > gem you are trying to install is building the software
    > from source code.
    > This is usually done in three steps -
    >
    > configure/make/make install ...
    > but the Windows version of nmake is not installed on your computer.
    > You can install a compiler, such as MinGW :
    >
    > http://www.mingw.org/
    >
    > on your system to do the compilation.
    >
    > This can be useful in many cases anyway...
    > I haven't worked with specific backpropagation software, but
    > if you want to use Ruby for scientific work, some general
    > numerics software such as Ruby-GSL (http://rb-gsl.rubyforge.org/)
    > which is included in the one-click installer for Windows
    >
    > http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=167
    >
    > may be helpful.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Axel
    >

    > --
    > Ist Ihr Browser Vista-kompatibel? Jetzt die neuesten
    > Browser-Versionen downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/browser

    , Jun 24, 2007