Error installing Ruby-Debug : unreachable host???

Bob Miner

Hi,
VERY new to Ruby....talk to me like I'm 6 years old :)
I'm tryin to install a debugger.

Downloaded Ruby-Debug-0.10.1.gem
When I type GEM INSTALL RUBY-DEBUG
I get :
A Socket operation attempted to an unreachable host

Not using rails....all I've done is install Ruby-one-click into an XP
laptop.

Bob Miner

Alright...no response.
I must have left out some info, or I typed an undecipherable
question....lemme rephrase:

I need a debugger for Ruby. Any suggestions where to get one & how to
load it?

Adam Shelly

n 8/6/08 said:
Downloaded Ruby-Debug-0.10.1.gem
When I type GEM INSTALL RUBY-DEBUG
I get :
A Socket operation attempted to an unreachable host

I need a debugger for Ruby. Any suggestions where to get one & how to
load it?

That is a network error of some sort - I get a similar one due to my
office firewall.

But if you have already downloaded Ruby-Debug-0.10.1.gem onto your harddrive,
then all you need to do is change to the download directory and type
`gem install -l Ruby-Debug-0.10.1.gem`

The -l for local makes it skip the attempt to connect to the network.

If you haven't downloaded it, you can get it from
rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-debug/

-Adam

Bob Miner

then all you need to do is change to the download directory and type
`gem install -l Ruby-Debug-0.10.1.gem`

Thanks for helpin Adam, but I get this error.
ERROR: While executing gem ... <OptonParser::InvalidOption>
invalid option: -1

I'm on Ruby ver 1.8 (I think???)
I ran that from the download dir where Ruby-Debug-0.10.1.gem and 3 other
files that came along w/ the download are.

Adam Shelly

Thanks for helpin Adam, but I get this error.
ERROR: While executing gem ... <OptonParser::InvalidOption>
invalid option: -1
did you use a number -1 instead of the letter -l ?

Bob Miner

Adam said:
did you use a number -1 instead of the letter -l ?

Oops...I'd assumed number one. But I tried it w/ the letter L (-l) and
got THIS stupid error

"ruby-debug requires colunmize >= 0.1"