error message: Unable to start debugging on the web server"

Bruce Schechter

I just started to develop an ASP.NET application in vs.net 2003 . But each
time I try to execute the application (which is basically empty so far), I
get a dialog box titled "Microsoft Development Environment" with this
message:

"Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web
server. Server-side error occurred on sending debug HTTP request.

Make sure the server is operating correctly. Verify there are no syntax
errors in web.config by doing a Debug.Start without debugging. You may also
want to refer to the ASP.NET and ATL Server debugging topic in the online
documentation."

I have created ASP.NET code successfully in the past with my current
installation of vs.net 2003, and I don't recall getting this error message
before. Also, vs.net works fine for win forms development.

What could cause this error message?

The only significant change to my system configuration since my previous
ASP.NET development was my installation of the latest edition of vs.net 2005
from msdn downloads. Could this be a factor?

Thanks,
Bruce

Hermit Dave

Just yesterday i talked to two people who had a similar problem

get yourself a version switcher
http://www.denisbauer.com/NETTools/ASPNETVersionSwitcher.aspx

and check to see which version its currently bound to.
if its not bound to 1.1 then switch it to 1.1 and then try debugging.

if its still gives you bother problems then
Project >> Configuration Mananger - Debug version
Web.config - Debug = true
and you should be a member of Administrators and Debuggers

--

Regards,

Hermit Dave
(http://hdave.blogspot.com)

Bruce Schechter

Thanks for the guidance.

I ran the "version switcher" as recommended. In fact it seems that IIS was
configured to execute ASP.NET (aspx) apps via dotnet version 2.0 and so I
switched it back to version 1.1. So, I no longer get the original error
message described in my earlier message.

However, now I get a different error... When opening my project, vs.net
2003 gives this error message via a dialog box:
"The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
open the Web project located at the following URL: 'http://localhost/gta'.
'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error'."

Alternatively, I typed the address of my application (http://localhost/gta)
into IE. The resulting page givesan error message, which I cut-and-pasted
below.

Unfortunately, I was not able to understand how to execute the second
recommendation regarding "Project >> Configuration Mananger" from Hermit
Dave.

In addition to debugging this current problem, I would appreciate any
recommendations for articles about how to maintain two versions of vs.net
(in my case 2003 and 2005) simultaneously installed for ASP.NET development
on one machine.

Thanks,
Bruce

******* Start of error message from IE **********
Server Error in '/gta' Application.
----
Server cannot access application directory 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\gta\'. The
directory does not exist or is not accessible because of security settings.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server cannot access
application directory 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\gta\'. The directory does not
exist or is not accessible because of security settings.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:
[HttpException (0x80004005): Server cannot access application directory
'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\gta\'. The directory does not exist or is not accessible
because of security settings.]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureAccessToApplicationDirectory() +72
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +263

[HttpException (0x80004005): ASP.NET Initialization Error]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +965
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +128

Hermit Dave

vs.net 2005 does set all the current projects to run under 2.0 so you have
to switch to 1.1

i dont know why you get the internal server error. but if you manage of open
the project under 2003 then go to
Build >> Configuration Manager - Set the active configuration to Debug

--

Regards,

Hermit Dave
(http://hdave.blogspot.com)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- --
----
[...]

Version:1.1.4322.573

******* End of error message from IE **********

Hermit Dave said:
Just yesterday i talked to two people who had a similar problem

get yourself a version switcher
http://www.denisbauer.com/NETTools/ASPNETVersionSwitcher.aspx

and check to see which version its currently bound to.
if its not bound to 1.1 then switch it to 1.1 and then try debugging.

if its still gives you bother problems then
Project >> Configuration Mananger - Debug version
Web.config - Debug = true
and you should be a member of Administrators and Debuggers

--

Regards,

Hermit Dave
(http://hdave.blogspot.com)
far),
I vs.net
2005

[MSFT]

Hi Bruce,

It seems the problem is related to security issues. You may try to grant
the account "NETWORK SERVICE" or ASPNET with full control permission on
\Inetpub\wwwroot\gta. Will this help?

Luke

Bruce Schechter

Luke,

I added full control permission to those two accounts, but still get the
error.

At this point, I've decided to simply rebuild the system. (BTW, some
postings on the Whidbey newsgroups lead me to believe that it is unwise to
do ASP.NET development via vs.net 2003 when the current build of Whidbey is
installed all the same machine. I'm suspicious that the error messages
could relate to that issue. Once I rebuild this system, I'll keep the two
versions on seperate machines.) I'm confident that things will be fine
again, once I rebuild.

Thanks for everyone's help, never-the-less!

cheers, Bruce

Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
unable to start debugging on the web server

am using visual studio .net 2003.... while working with asp.net projects intially ther was no problems...but suddenly now am "unable to start debugging on the web server"...i checked with IIS ...ther is no problem with thet....and no problem with user account...working absolutely fine and in projects->configuration manager->debug is set true......The problem is while debugging...when i start without debugging..it shows..."Server application unavailable"...what should i do to resolve the problem...plz help