Error messages when creating new ASP.NET project

Timbit

Hi, this is probably an old question, and I have had no luck finding answers
to this one on the internet that has helped me out.

I installed VS .NET 2003, then I installed IIS 5.1 after that. I had
problems getting .aspx pages displayed so I ran:

c:\winnt\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe -i
regsvr32 c:\winnt\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_isapi.dll

After a reboot I could see my .aspx pages loading with my IIS! Yay!

But when I tried to create a project with VS .NET 2003 (ASP.NET web
application) I eventually got these 2 error dialogs:

"The Web was created successfully, but an error occured when trying to
configure the application root for this web. Web projects may not operate
correctly without an application root. The returned error was:
A possible cause of this error is insignificant access rights to perform the
operation. You can manually configure the application root using the
Internet Services Manager."

"Unable to set permissions in the 'bin' folder to restrict browse access. A
possible cause of this error is insignificant access rights to perform the
operation. You can manually configure the application root using the
Internet Services Manager."

I checked my permissions:
c:\inetpub - not shared
c:\inetpub\wwwroot - shared as wwwroot$ - both administrators and VS
developers groups have full control, change, read all checked.

I checked my IIS v5.1 settings:
"default web site" properties -> home directory tab
local path: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot
read, log visits, index source boxes are checked

Application settings:
application name: default application
execute permissions: Scripts and executables
application protection: medium (pooled)

I'm also running Windows XP Pro SP1. Internet explorer 6.0 SP1.

What am I missing? Any help or pointers to articles would be greatly
appreciated as I have been working on this for over 6 hours.

-Den

Andy Mortimer [MS]

Sounds like a permissions problem, either on your folders or elsewhere.
Have you got Everyone and VS Developers in the permissions at your web
toor? this may help

Andy Mortimer [MS]
Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only

OR if you wish to include a script sample in your post please add "Use of
included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm"

Justnew

Try uninstalling vs.net 2003.You should configure the IIS first before
installing the vs.net 2003 it is recommended that you configure the
IIS and do not forget to include front page extension. Probably this
should save more time than trying to find a workaround