Error msg when doing client-side authentication

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by David Martin, Oct 9, 2005.

  1. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Hi,
    I am trying to make a request from a web service to an external
    site which uses https. I have a certificate (.p12 format) from them. I
    have performed the following steps:

    1. Exported the certificate to DER encoded .CER file.
    2. Imported the certificate into the Trusted Root CA of the local
    computer
    3. Used X509Certificate.CreateFromCertFile() to create a
    X509Certificate object from the .CER file.
    4. Added this certificate to the HttpWebRequest using
    httpRequest.ClientCertificates.Add(cert);
    5. When I try to retrieve the response using
    httpRequest.GetResponse(), I get the following error:
    "The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden."

    Any idea what this means and how to get past it? I have a feeling that
    the certificate is not being sent to the external site.
    Any help will be highly appreciated.

    (This post was posted a long time ago.. but never got an answer)

    David Martin, Oct 9, 2005

  2. David Martin

    Mfenetre Guest

    Mfenetre, Oct 10, 2005

  3. David Martin

    Mfenetre Guest

    Well in fact, not exactly...

    I've tried to load the certificate from a file but it has never worked.
    However, I've found some posts saying that if you load the certificate
    from the current user personal store, it should work (look how I did it
    in my post) but it didn't work for me...

    regards,

    Alexis.

    Mfenetre, Oct 10, 2005