Error msg when doing client-side authentication

David Martin

Hi,
I am trying to make a request from a web service to an external
site which uses https. I have a certificate (.p12 format) from them. I
have performed the following steps:

1. Exported the certificate to DER encoded .CER file.
2. Imported the certificate into the Trusted Root CA of the local
computer
3. Used X509Certificate.CreateFromCertFile() to create a
X509Certificate object from the .CER file.
4. Added this certificate to the HttpWebRequest using
httpRequest.ClientCertificates.Add(cert);
5. When I try to retrieve the response using
httpRequest.GetResponse(), I get the following error:
"The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden."

Any idea what this means and how to get past it? I have a feeling that
the certificate is not being sent to the external site.
Any help will be highly appreciated.

(This post was posted a long time ago.. but never got an answer)

Mfenetre

Well in fact, not exactly...

I've tried to load the certificate from a file but it has never worked.
However, I've found some posts saying that if you load the certificate
from the current user personal store, it should work (look how I did it
in my post) but it didn't work for me...

regards,

Alexis.