Error: Multiple controls with the same ID

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Nathan Sokalski, Jul 11, 2005.

  1. When I view any page in my application a second time, I recieve the
    following error:

    [HttpException (0x80004005): Multiple controls with the same ID
    'TitleBanner:_ctl0' were found. Trace requires that controls have unique
    IDs.]
    System.Web.TraceContext.AddNewControl(String id, String parentId, String
    type, Int32 viewStateSize) +313
    System.Web.UI.Control.BuildProfileTree(String parentId, Boolean
    calcViewState) +201
    System.Web.UI.Control.BuildProfileTree(String parentId, Boolean
    calcViewState) +263
    System.Web.UI.Control.BuildProfileTree(String parentId, Boolean
    calcViewState) +263
    System.Web.UI.Control.BuildProfileTree(String parentId, Boolean
    calcViewState) +263

    If I close the browser and Visual Studio, and then reopen and rebuild the
    application I can look at one page in the application one more time, but
    then I recieve the error again. What can I do to prevent this error from
    occurring? If there is any other information that might help figure out the
    problem, I will be happy to give it to you. Here is the entire error page I
    recieve:

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    Multiple controls with the same ID 'TitleBanner:_ctl0' were found. Trace
    requires that controls have unique IDs.

    Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Multiple controls with the same
    ID 'TitleBanner:_ctl0' were found. Trace requires that controls have unique
    IDs.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [HttpException (0x80004005): Multiple controls with the same ID
    'TitleBanner:_ctl0' were found. Trace requires that controls have unique
    IDs.]
    System.Web.TraceContext.AddNewControl(String id, String parentId, String
    type, Int32 viewStateSize) +313
    System.Web.UI.Control.BuildProfileTree(String parentId, Boolean
    calcViewState) +201
    System.Web.UI.Control.BuildProfileTree(String parentId, Boolean
    calcViewState) +263
    System.Web.UI.Control.BuildProfileTree(String parentId, Boolean
    calcViewState) +263
    System.Web.UI.Control.BuildProfileTree(String parentId, Boolean
    calcViewState) +263

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET
    Version:1.1.4322.2032
    Request Details
    Session Id: 3nolkd55t1wljc452octxq55 Request Type: GET
    Time of Request: 7/11/2005 5:29:15 PM Status Code: 500
    Request Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8) Response Encoding: Unicode (UTF-8)
    Trace Information
    Category Message From First(s) From Last(s)
    aspx.page Begin Init
    aspx.page End Init 0.000021 0.000021
    aspx.page Begin PreRender 0.000235 0.000215
    aspx.page End PreRender 0.000260 0.000024
    Unhandled Execution Error
    Multiple controls with the same ID 'TitleBanner:_ctl0' were found.
    Trace requires that controls have unique IDs.
    at System.Web.TraceContext.AddNewControl(String id, String parentId,
    String type, Int32 viewStateSize)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.BuildProfileTree(String parentId, Boolean
    calcViewState)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.BuildProfileTree(String parentId, Boolean
    calcViewState)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.BuildProfileTree(String parentId, Boolean
    calcViewState)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.BuildProfileTree(String parentId, Boolean
    calcViewState)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() 0.000584 0.000324
    Control Tree
    Control Id Type Render Size Bytes (including children) Viewstate Size
    Bytes (excluding children)
    __PAGE ASP.index_aspx 0 0
    _ctl0 System.Web.UI.LiteralControl 0 0
    TitleBar System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlGenericControl 0 0
    _ctl1 System.Web.UI.LiteralControl 0 0
    _ctl2 System.Web.UI.ResourceBasedLiteralControl 0 0
    Form1 System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm 0 0
    _ctl3 System.Web.UI.LiteralControl 0 0
    TitleBanner ASP.Banner_ascx 0 0
    TitleBanner:lblTitle System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label 0 0
    TitleBanner:_ctl0 System.Web.UI.LiteralControl 0 0
    Cookies Collection
    Name Value Size
    ASP.NET_SessionId 3nolkd55t1wljc452octxq55 42
    Headers Collection
    Name Value
    Connection Keep-Alive
    Accept image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
    application/x-shockwave-flash, application/msword, */*
    Accept-Encoding gzip, deflate
    Accept-Language en-us
    Cookie ASP.NET_SessionId=3nolkd55t1wljc452octxq55
    Host localhost
    User-Agent Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1;
    ..NET CLR 1.1.4322)
    Server Variables
    Name Value
    ALL_HTTP HTTP_CONNECTION:Keep-Alive HTTP_ACCEPT:image/gif,
    image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/x-shockwave-flash,
    application/msword, */* HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING:gzip, deflate
    HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE:en-us
    HTTP_COOKIE:ASP.NET_SessionId=3nolkd55t1wljc452octxq55 HTTP_HOST:localhost
    HTTP_USER_AGENT:Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET
    CLR 1.1.4322)
    ALL_RAW Connection: Keep-Alive Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap,
    image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/msword,
    */* Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate Accept-Language: en-us Cookie:
    ASP.NET_SessionId=3nolkd55t1wljc452octxq55 Host: localhost User-Agent:
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
    APPL_MD_PATH /LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT
    APPL_PHYSICAL_PATH c:\inetpub\wwwroot\
    AUTH_TYPE
    AUTH_USER
    AUTH_PASSWORD
    LOGON_USER
    REMOTE_USER
    CERT_COOKIE
    CERT_FLAGS
    CERT_ISSUER
    CERT_KEYSIZE
    CERT_SECRETKEYSIZE
    CERT_SERIALNUMBER
    CERT_SERVER_ISSUER
    CERT_SERVER_SUBJECT
    CERT_SUBJECT
    CONTENT_LENGTH 0
    CONTENT_TYPE
    GATEWAY_INTERFACE CGI/1.1
    HTTPS off
    HTTPS_KEYSIZE
    HTTPS_SECRETKEYSIZE
    HTTPS_SERVER_ISSUER
    HTTPS_SERVER_SUBJECT
    INSTANCE_ID 1
    INSTANCE_META_PATH /LM/W3SVC/1
    LOCAL_ADDR 127.0.0.1
    PATH_INFO /index.aspx
    PATH_TRANSLATED c:\inetpub\wwwroot\index.aspx
    QUERY_STRING
    REMOTE_ADDR 127.0.0.1
    REMOTE_HOST 127.0.0.1
    REMOTE_PORT 1361
    REQUEST_METHOD GET
    SCRIPT_NAME /index.aspx
    SERVER_NAME localhost
    SERVER_PORT 80
    SERVER_PORT_SECURE 0
    SERVER_PROTOCOL HTTP/1.1
    SERVER_SOFTWARE Microsoft-IIS/5.1
    URL /index.aspx
    HTTP_CONNECTION Keep-Alive
    HTTP_ACCEPT image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
    application/x-shockwave-flash, application/msword, */*
    HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING gzip, deflate
    HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE en-us
    HTTP_COOKIE ASP.NET_SessionId=3nolkd55t1wljc452octxq55
    HTTP_HOST localhost
    HTTP_USER_AGENT Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1;
    SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

    Thanks.
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, Jul 11, 2005

  2. I believe I already know who the "Problem Child" is (the user control
    TitleBanner has very few controls in it to begin with). However, giving it a
    name would not be an acceptable solution in my case because it is a control
    (or set of controls, actually) of which there may be 1, 3, 10, 50, or any
    amount, meaning I cannot give them all static names because I will always
    need a different number of the controls. I think the real solution (if I can
    figure out exactly how to do it) would be to remove the previously existing
    control with that ID from memory, which seems to be what happens when I
    close the browser and Visual Studio and then rebuild the application. Any
    ideas? If you want me to send you the code for the user control, let me know
    and I can either attach it to a newsgroup message or email it to you.
    Thanks.

    Nathan Sokalski, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Nathan Sokalski

    Dave Fancher Guest

    Go ahead and send it to me ( - remember to remove
    "remove"). I'll take a look at it this afternoon.

    HTH
    ----
    http://www.davefancher.com

    Dave Fancher, Jul 12, 2005