Error: Object must implement IConvertible

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?VGltOjouLg==?=, Dec 14, 2004.

  1. Hi can someone please help me with the following error!

    I keep getting:

    ERROR:
    System.InvalidCastException: Object must implement IConvertible.

    Line 231: PageID = cmd.Parameters("@PageID").Value
    Line 232:
    Line 233: Dim myReader As SqlDataReader = cmd.ExecuteReader()
    Line 234: myReader.Read()
    Line 235:

    I would be really grateful if someone could tell me why this might be
    happening!

    Thanks

    ... CODE ..

    Sub DGPages_Insert(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
    DataGridCommandEventArgs)
    If e.CommandName = "Insert" Then
    Dim modDate As String
    Dim dtNow As DateTime = DateTime.Now
    Dim description As String
    Dim txtdescription As TextBox
    Dim title As String
    Dim txtTitle As TextBox
    Dim PageID As Integer

    Dim strSQL As String
    modDate = dtNow.Date
    'Read in the values of the TextBoxes

    txtdescription = e.Item.FindControl("add_description")
    description = txtdescription.Text
    txtTitle = e.Item.FindControl("add_Title")
    title = txtTitle.Text

    'Create the appropriate SQL statement
    Dim Myconn As New
    SqlConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("strConn"))
    Dim cmd As New SqlCommand("PageAdd", Myconn)

    Myconn.Open()

    ' Add Parameters to the SQL query
    Dim objModDate, objDescription, objTitle, objPageID, objOffice
    As SqlParameter
    objModDate = cmd.Parameters.Add("@modDate", SqlDbType.DateTime)
    objDescription = cmd.Parameters.Add("@description",
    SqlDbType.NVarChar)
    objTitle = cmd.Parameters.Add("@title", SqlDbType.NVarChar)
    objPageID = cmd.Parameters.Add("@PageID", SqlDbType.Int)

    objModDate.Direction = ParameterDirection.Input
    objDescription.Direction = ParameterDirection.Input
    objTitle.Direction = ParameterDirection.Input
    cmd.Parameters("@PageID").Direction = ParameterDirection.Output

    objModDate.Value = modDate
    objDescription.Value = txtdescription
    objTitle.Value = txtTitle
    PageID = cmd.Parameters("@PageID").Value

    Dim myReader As SqlDataReader = cmd.ExecuteReader()
    myReader.Read()

    myReader.Close()

    Myconn.Close()

    'Rebind the DataGrid
    DGPages.EditItemIndex = -1
    BindData()
    End If

    End Sub
    =?Utf-8?B?VGltOjouLg==?=, Dec 14, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VGltOjouLg==?=

    Guest Guest

    Since your @PageID is an output parameter, you should put
    PageID = cmd.Parameters("@PageID").Value after
    any SqlCommand execute statement such as ExecuteNonQuery,
    or ExecuteReader, or ExecuteScalar rather than before
    those codes.

    Hope it's helpful to you.

    Elton

    ParameterDirection.Input