Error opening solution

rigamonk

I am using msdev 2002 v 7.0.9466 on my computer at home.
I also run a newer (2003 I believe) version at school. If I create a
solution on the system at school, I am unable to open this at home.....
Invalid solution......
If I open a project directly, it says that the "project was created on newer
version, unable to open"
I paid for this???
Does this mean that I have to purchase the newer version?
any help appreciated....
patrick

Mark Kamoski

Rigamonk--

Here's what I discovered.

VS.NET 2002 and VS.NET 2003 solutions are NOT 100% compatible for many
reasons, not the least of which is the fact that they produce code for
different versions the Framework.

In short, VS.NET 2003 solutions are not backwards compatible with VS.NET
2003.

However, one CAN open VS.NET 2002 solutions with VS.NET 2003, but VS.NET
2003 will convert to VS.NET 2003 format using a one-way conversion.

Now, that is, more or less, the official and expected behavior "out of the
box" for VS.NET.

That said, I have seen some articles that claim that one can use a
workaround so that VS.NET 2002 will be able to open VS.NET 2003 projects.
However, I have not investigated this much. You will have to search for
those references, but they do exist.

The short story seems to be that one ought to use VS.NET 2003 ASAP for
everything. That's my take. If one does have a VS.NET 2002 project that
cannot be upgraded, then one ought to stay with VS.NET 2002 strictly for
that project, until that person is ready to upgrade.

Note also that there are other implications with respect to installing
VS.NET 2002 and VS.NET 2003 on the same machine, so be aware that there are
more details to know. Especially important is the fact that when one
upgrades to Framework 1.1, the machine's IIS mappings start using the new
Framework version and need to be manually set if other behavior is desired.

(As a side note, I will say that I wish VS.NET supported strictly
"folder-based/physical-based" application organization. That is, it would
be great if VS.NET offered the option of whether or not to create and use a
project file and/or a solution file. WebMatrix handles this differently
(last time I checked) and it can be much cleaner and useful in situations
where the solution organization is not needed. Projects organized this way
would then be compatible anywhere. Oh well.)

That's all I have for now.

HTH.

--Mark