Error reading configuration information from the registry

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Toty Santana, Mar 7, 2006.

  1. Toty Santana

    Toty Santana Guest

    I am trying to store the username and password in the registry using the
    (aspnet_setreg.exe) tool, and then add registry pointers in the web.config
    file

    <identity impersonate="true"
    userName="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\OHS\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,userName"
    password="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\OHS\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,password"/>

    I am using VS 2005 and the above mechanism works when I am debugging the
    application using VS development server (the builtin IIS that comes with VS
    2005) but when I deploy the application to IIS 5 on the same machine I
    receive the following error

    (Error reading configuration information from the registry)

    I thought it is a registry permissions error but I tested the application on
    the same machine.
    Any help will be appreciated.

    Toty Santana, Mar 7, 2006

  2. I guess this is ACL related - check if the ASPNET account has read access
    to the registry keys...

    ---------------------------------------
    Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
    http://www.leastprivilege.com

    Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor], Mar 7, 2006

  3. Toty Santana

    Toty Santana Guest

    i've just did it, thank you

    Toty Santana, Mar 7, 2006
  4. Toty Santana

    Toty Santana Guest

    i've just done it , thank you

    Toty Santana, Mar 7, 2006
  5. Did you use impersonate in the ASP.NET application? What is the exact error
    message? When using VS development server , it will use your current log on
    user account to access the resgitry entries; When deploy to IIS 5, it may
    use ASPNET account. Maybe you can temporarily set the registry entry
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\OHS\identity\ to everyone, to see if this can help. If this
    work, it should be a regsitry permission issue.

    Luke Zhang
    rights.)

    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Mar 7, 2006