Error reading configuration information from the registry

Sean Brooks

We have set up a impersonation on our web application. The service accounts
credentials are stored in the registry. This user account is passed to our
SQL Server.

Excerpt from web.config:
<identity impersonate="true"
userName="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\AppName\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,userName"
password="registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\AppName\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,password"/>
<authentication mode="Windows"/>

While we are developing on our local Windows XP - IIS environments, this
error occurs about 50% of the time after we edit a page or recompile. It
appears that IIS has lock on the registry key. If we run iisreset, the error
is resolved until the next code change or recompile.

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
Version:2.0.50727.42

Thank you in advance for any help,
Sean Brooks

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

which production server are you using?

IIS6 has no need for application impersonation - you can configure the process
identity per application using app pools.

i think this setreg approach is cumbersome...

Sean Brooks

We have a shared development SQL Server that the Infrastructure team doesn't
want to have to manage users for. They created a single user per database
and added the user’s encrypted credentials to our registries. I know that
creating an AD group and adding us to the group would not be that difficult,
but this is what has been decided. Our production and staging servers are
running Windows 2003, however; they don’t have this issue. The error only
occurs on our development (XP) computers where we can’t set up an app pool
for each web application. So, do you have any ideas on how we can stop the
error?

Sean Brooks

I did search for it. I'll search some more. I have not filed in product
feedback yet either. I'll do that as well.