ERROR: Request format is unrecognized

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by TekCat, Nov 8, 2006.

  1. TekCat

    TekCat Guest

    I have .NET 2 and DNN 4.3.5 installed. In dnn module I created web service,
    and just by typing URL in browser to test it I get an error.

    Any thoughts what I am doing wrong?

    ERROR:
    ----------------------
    Request format is unrecognized.

    Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Request format is
    unrecognized.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [InvalidOperationException: Request format is unrecognized.]
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandlerFactory.CoreGetHandler(Type
    type, HttpContext context, HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response)
    +491033
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext
    context, String verb, String url, String filePath) +104
    System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String
    requestType, VirtualPath path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig)
    +175
    System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
    +120
    completedSynchronously) +155

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
    Version:2.0.50727.210
    ---------------------------
    TekCat, Nov 8, 2006

  2. John Saunders, Nov 9, 2006

  3. TekCat

    TekCat Guest

    Thanks, that works.
    I have another question, since it now I am able to "ping" the service I am
    trying to call it from client's javascript end.

    I successfully execute:

    ---
    var url = getModulePath() + 'svc/RadarStatusWebservice.asmx?WSDL';
    RadarStatusWebservice.useService( url, 'RadarStatusWS' );
    if( !RadarStatusWebservice.RadarStatusWS )
    alert( 'Unable to use RadarStatusWebservice' );
    ---

    which makes http post to webservice without errors.
    Now, within same javascript function I get code that calls webservice's
    method like this:

    RadarStatusWebservice.RadarStatusWS.callService( OnWebSvcCallback,
    'SiteStatusChange', arg );

    - 'SiteStatusChange' is a method name I wish to call (that just suppose to
    returns string "Hello World")
    - arg is some text
    - OnWebSvcCallback a callback function that gets called with error bit set,
    but the rest of the result object has 'undefined' values.

    What am I doing wrong?
    Anyone?
    TekCat, Nov 9, 2006