error sending smtp mail

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by z f, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. z f

    z f Guest

    Hi,

    i'm sending mail from the aspx page on the server.
    it is running on hosting,
    so i configure the System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.SmtpServer property to my mail
    server.
    but problem is that sender email is also configurable and since the sender
    email is not from the SMTP server same host, it is not allows to send.
    i need to ba able to configure the SMTP Auth to be authenticated to
    different user from the sender email, but i didn't find methods for that in
    the object.
    what should be the way?

    might i be able to use the MailMessage Headers property for that?

    The Error
    The server rejected one or more recipient addresses. The server response
    was: 550 You must check your mail from this IP or SMTP Auth before sending

    TIA, z.

    z f, Jul 6, 2004

  2. z f,

    Unfortunately SmtpMail does not support SMTP AUTH.

    You can use this alternate implementation:
    http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/smtpemailer.asp?target=smtpemailer

    --
    Hope this helps,
    Zeeshan Mustafa, MCSD

    M. Zeeshan Mustafa, Jul 6, 2004

  3. z f

    Scott Allen Guest

    With the 1.1 framework SmtpMail does support authentication, but it's
    well hidden and in my opinion rather obfuscated because the rest of
    SmtpMail provides such a nice abstraction.

    You need to use the fields property of the MailMessage object, as in:

    mailMessage.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate",1);

    (The value of 1 means "basic authentication", a value of 2 means NTLM)

    Official but sparse documentation is at the following link:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../cdosys/html/_cdosys_schema_configuration.asp

    A complete example is here:
    http://www.codeproject.com/dotnet/SystemWeb_Mail_SMTP_AUTH.asp

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com

    Scott Allen, Jul 6, 2004
  4. z f

    z. f. Guest

    indeed it worked.
    do you know if there is a possibility of controlling the encoding of the
    user name / password to base 64 / clear text i couldn't understand from the
    docs.

    thnx!!

    z. f., Jul 7, 2004