Error "The Page Cannot Be Found"

Martin Eyles

Hi,
I have set up an asp.net website on another PC in order to test it. The
site was fine on my PC, but on the new PC all the pages give the error "The
Page Cannot Be Found". Some legacy pages (ASP, as opposed to ASP.Net) work
fine.

The old PC was running Windows 2000 Server, and the new PC I am testing on
is running Windows Server 2003.

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Martin Eyles

Sreejith Ram said:
Have you tried running command aspregiis ?

Start -> Run - > aspregiis.exe -i

I have just tried it, and get the response that aspregiis.exe does not
exist. Have tried searching for the file, and cannot find it.

Juan T. Llibre

Try :

aspnet_regiis -i

If that, still, returns a file not found message, open a command window at
drive:\WINDOWSdirectory\Microsoft.NET\Framework\vx.x.xxxxx
where x.x.xxxxx stands for the version of the .Net Framework you're running.

Then, run aspnet_regiis -i from that directory.

Martin Eyles

Juan T. Llibre said:
Try :

aspnet_regiis -i

Still file not found
If that, still, returns a file not found message, open a command window at
drive:\WINDOWSdirectory\Microsoft.NET\Framework\vx.x.xxxxx
where x.x.xxxxx stands for the version of the .Net Framework you're running.

Then, run aspnet_regiis -i from that directory.

Yes, that does run (I chose 1.1, as my website was developed in that).
However, it doesn't make the .aspx pages work! I tried rebooting after
running this, and it still doesn't work.

Martin

Martin Eyles

Juan T. Llibre said:
What is the error returned ?

The same as always "The Page Cannot Be Found". (HTTP Error 404 - File or
directory no found.)

I get this error for all .aspx pages, but not for.asp pages.

Juan T. Llibre

I had not noticed this before:
the new PC I am testing on is running Windows Server 2003

Have you enabled aspx pages on your Windows Server 2003 ?
They come disabled by default.

Open the IIS Manager, scroll down on the left to "Web Service Extensions",
go to the right pane, select the version of ASP.NET you want to allow,
and click the "Allow" button.

You can allow more than one version if you're going to use them.

Martin Eyles

Juan T. Llibre said:
I had not noticed this before:

Have you enabled aspx pages on your Windows Server 2003 ?
They come disabled by default.

Open the IIS Manager, scroll down on the left to "Web Service Extensions",
go to the right pane, select the version of ASP.NET you want to allow,
and click the "Allow" button.

You can allow more than one version if you're going to use them.

Thank you very much! It works! Why did it just work in win2k server (my
development machine) - is it something that the visual studio installer
changes?

Thanks Again,
Martin

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Thank you very much! It works!

You're very much welcome!
I wish I had noticed that you are using W2K3 earlier.

;-)

re:
Why did it just work in win2k server (my development machine)
- is it something that the visual studio installer changes?

No. Having to enable ASP.NET ( and other http services,
like CGI, SSI, etc. ) is something IIS 6.0 defaults to.

There was a lot of criticism of Microsoft for letting its web server ( IIS )
be wide open to attacks out of the box when inexperienced hands were using it.

The less http services are running, the less surface is exposed to potential attackers.
Once people know what they're doing, they can turn on whatever services they want.