error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineOnly' beyond machine.config

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by AAaron123, Jan 16, 2009.

  1. AAaron123

    AAaron123 Guest

    I've been trying to create the capability of changing a users password
    without knowing the old password nor the answer to the password question
    without success!

    I thought I had the answer. I would insert a web.config file into a
    subfolder so that I could set
    requiresQuestionAndAnswer to false in that folder and so be able to reset
    the hashed password.

    As you probable know I got the error:

    Error 2 It is an error to use a section registered as
    allowDefinition='MachineOnly' beyond machine.config.

    I need this badly so I want to be sure I can't get around this some how.

    Is there a way around this?

    Do you agree that this approach is not going to work?

    Any advice?

    Thanks in advance
    AAaron123, Jan 16, 2009

  2. Answer = custom membership provider.

    If I get a chance tonight, I will see if I can dig up the custom membership
    provider I coded a while back and publish the details on my blog.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, Se, SD, DBA

    blog: http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com

    | Think outside the box! |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Jan 16, 2009

  3. AAaron123

    AAaron123 Guest

    I found it!
    Public Function GetPasswordWithoutAnswer(ByVal i_Username As String) As
    String

    Return
    Membership.Providers("AdminMembershipProvider").ResetPassword(i_Username,
    String.Empty)

    End Function

    The thing I needed was the way to provide a custom provider when using
    ResetPassword.

    Took too long for such a simple answer!

    Thanks

    message news:...

    AAaron123, Jan 16, 2009
  4. Everything takes too long until you know how to do it. Then, it is all
    simple. :)

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, Se, SD, DBA

    Blog:

    | Think outside the box! |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Jan 20, 2009
  5. AAaron123

    AAaron123 Guest

    Thanks for the offer to help

    message news:...