error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineOnly' beyond machine.config

AAaron123

I've been trying to create the capability of changing a users password
without knowing the old password nor the answer to the password question
without success!

I thought I had the answer. I would insert a web.config file into a
subfolder so that I could set
requiresQuestionAndAnswer to false in that folder and so be able to reset
the hashed password.

As you probable know I got the error:

Error 2 It is an error to use a section registered as
allowDefinition='MachineOnly' beyond machine.config.

I need this badly so I want to be sure I can't get around this some how.

Is there a way around this?

Do you agree that this approach is not going to work?

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Answer = custom membership provider.

If I get a chance tonight, I will see if I can dig up the custom membership
provider I coded a while back and publish the details on my blog.

AAaron123

I found it!
Public Function GetPasswordWithoutAnswer(ByVal i_Username As String) As
String

Return
Membership.Providers("AdminMembershipProvider").ResetPassword(i_Username,
String.Empty)

End Function

The thing I needed was the way to provide a custom provider when using
ResetPassword.

Took too long for such a simple answer!

Thanks

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Everything takes too long until you know how to do it. Then, it is all
simple. :)