    portion to my app but now I can't see the user friendly error page. How can i
    still show the user friendly error page and email myself the erorr when my
    page or sites 'breaks'
    =?Utf-8?B?aWdvdHlvdXJkb3RuZXQ=?=, Sep 14, 2006

  2. I got this to work, web.config setting.
    BUT

    when I get the error page and click on a menu option it takes me back to the
    login screen. So how can I prevent users to having to log back into the site
    if they get an error?

    =?Utf-8?B?aWdvdHlvdXJkb3RuZXQ=?=, Sep 14, 2006

  3. Make sure you have the proper role settings (siteMap) and security settings
    (web.config files at different levels) for each page you do not want a
    person to have to relog in on.

    Without seeing more of the app, this is about as far as I can go, although I
    should have a blog entry on menus soon.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 15, 2006
  4. what do you mean "role settings (sitemap)?
    I'm not using a "sitemap" control or sitemap datasource. I'm using the
    treeview menu with static nodes. As for my security I'm not using the asp.net
    membership or anything like that. Im' using the forms auth code from my .net
    3 app due to i needed to use my existing user tables and couldnt find out how
    to use the .NET 2.0 user db until after the fact

    =?Utf-8?B?aWdvdHlvdXJkb3RuZXQ=?=, Sep 15, 2006
  5. Hi,

    I think what Gregory suggested is the role settings in web.config as
    described here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5k850zwb.aspx; you
    can protect different location with different roles. If current user visits
    a web page which current user role doesn't have been granted, he/she will
    be redirected to the login page to re-login with another user/role that can
    access the page.

    After the user logined, a cookie will be issued to the client browser to
    track it; if in any case that the cookie gets cleared, it will also be
    redirected to the login page.

    Again, these possibilities are really wild guess without actual code. Is it
    possible to create a reproducible project and send it to me? Thus I can
    help you find the root cause of this issue. Thank you.

    Sincerely,
    Walter Wang (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    promptly.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Sep 18, 2006
  6. Hi,

    I am interested in this issue. Would you mind letting me know the result of
    the suggestions? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know.
    I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

    Have a great day!

    Regards,

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Sep 20, 2006