Error "unrecognized option --protected" when running "gem install bluecloth"

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by rlh100, Feb 28, 2011.

  1. rlh100

    rlh100 Guest

    I am running Fedora core 14 and trying to install bluecloth and am
    having problems.
    The first problem was with strcasecmp and I solved that my recompiling
    ruby to the latest 1.8.7 version, patch 334.

    Now when I try to install bluecloth I get the error:
    gem install bluecloth

    Successfully installed bluecloth-2.0.11
    1 gem installed
    Installing ri documentation for bluecloth-2.0.11...

    unrecognized option `--protected'

    If I turn on debugging I get:
    .. . .
    Installing ri documentation for bluecloth-2.0.11...
    Exception `GetoptLong::InvalidOption' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/
    getoptlong.rb:403 - unrecognized option `--protected'

    Any suggestions?
    RLH

    rlh100, Feb 28, 2011

  2. On 02/27/2011 10:10 PM, rlh100 wrote:
    > I am running Fedora core 14 and trying to install bluecloth and am
    > having problems.
    > The first problem was with strcasecmp and I solved that my recompiling
    > ruby to the latest 1.8.7 version, patch 334.
    >
    > Now when I try to install bluecloth I get the error:
    > gem install bluecloth
    > Building native extensions. This could take a while...
    >
    > Successfully installed bluecloth-2.0.11
    > 1 gem installed
    > Installing ri documentation for bluecloth-2.0.11...
    >
    > unrecognized option `--protected'
    >
    > If I turn on debugging I get:
    > . . .
    > Installing ri documentation for bluecloth-2.0.11...
    > Exception `GetoptLong::InvalidOption' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/
    > getoptlong.rb:403 - unrecognized option `--protected'
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > RLH

    If you just want to use the gem then you can ignore that error and read
    documentation online: http://rubydoc.info/gems/bluecloth/2.0.11/frames

    Not sure about the error.

    -Justin

    Justin Collins, Feb 28, 2011

  3. On Feb 27, 2011, at 10:10 PM, rlh100 wrote:
    >=20
    > I am running Fedora core 14 and trying to install bluecloth and am
    > having problems.
    > The first problem was with strcasecmp and I solved that my recompiling
    > ruby to the latest 1.8.7 version, patch 334.
    >=20
    > Now when I try to install bluecloth I get the error:
    > gem install bluecloth
    > Building native extensions. This could take a while...
    >=20
    > Successfully installed bluecloth-2.0.11
    > 1 gem installed
    > Installing ri documentation for bluecloth-2.0.11...
    >=20
    > unrecognized option `--protected'

    This happens because the gem has an invalid RDoc option in its =
    rdoc_options. I'll have this fixed in the next release.

    --
    Michael Granger <>
    Rubymage, Architect, Believer

    Michael Granger, Mar 3, 2011