Error upon Error...

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by rab, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. rab

    rab Guest

    anyone seen this error before:

    > Can't load '/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/PA-RISC2.0/auto/DB_File/DB_File.sl' for module DB_File: No such file or directory at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/PA-RISC2.0/XSLoader.pm line 83.
    > at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/PA-RISC2.0/DB_File.pm line 236

    I'm just trying to run this script:

    #!/usr/bin/perl -w
    use strict;
    use DB_File;

    print "Hello World!\n"

    all three of the files exist on the system....why is it saying this.
    (there are a few scripts that I have that want to use DB_File and they
    all say this.... that's why I just use this simple script above for
    error diagnosis)

    rab
    rab, Jul 17, 2003

  2. rab

    rab Guest

    > rab> anyone seen this error before:
    > This does look puzzling. If the files truly exist, could there be a
    > permission issue with DB_File.sl? It could be the result of a bad
    > install, so you might try re-installing the DB_File modules.
    >
    > Good luck to you,
    >
    > --Ethan Brown
    > --Keyboards: "The Fabulous Pelicans" (www.pelicans.com)
    > --In a band? Use http://www.WheresTheGig.com for free.

    Ethan....Thanks for the response. Checked the permissions...but they
    were all fine.

    I'm afraid that reinstalling is even more difficult. I wouldn't even
    know where to begin trying to get rid of all the complaints from gcc.

    I got this copy of Perl from a port to HPUX site.

    thanks though.
    rab, Jul 17, 2003

  3. rab

    Guest

    (rab) wrote in message news:<>...

    > > rab> anyone seen this error before:

    [ apparent file not found loading a DLL ]

    > > This does look puzzling. If the files truly exist, could there be a
    > > permission issue with DB_File.sl? It could be the result of a bad
    > > install, so you might try re-installing the DB_File modules.

    > Ethan....Thanks for the response. Checked the permissions...but they
    > were all fine.
    >
    > I'm afraid that reinstalling is even more difficult. I wouldn't even
    > know where to begin trying to get rid of all the complaints from gcc.

    Both thes possibly point to the same underlying problem - you have a
    problem with your compiler and/or it's associated libraires. In many
    architectures I believe the dl_ functions in the C RTL need to load
    some soet of helper library before the library you've asked to load.
    I suspect it is this library that's missing, incorrectly protected, or
    in the wrong place.

    Try doing a system-call trace to see what underlying system call it is
    that is returning the error. On some Unicies a system call trace is
    called "strace".

    > I got this copy of Perl from a port to HPUX site.

    ^^^^

    How is that pronounced? :)
    , Jul 19, 2003
  4. rab

    Cat Guest

    rab wrote:

    > anyone seen this error before:
    >
    > > Can't load '/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/PA-RISC2.0/auto/DB_File/DB_File.sl' for module DB_File: No such file or directory at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/PA-RISC2.0/XSLoader.pm line 83.
    > > at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/PA-RISC2.0/DB_File.pm line 236

    > I'm just trying to run this script:
    >
    > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
    > use strict;
    > use DB_File;
    >
    > print "Hello World!\n"
    >
    > all three of the files exist on the system....why is it saying this.
    > (there are a few scripts that I have that want to use DB_File and they
    > all say this.... that's why I just use this simple script above for
    > error diagnosis)
    >
    > rab

    DB_File module has not been installed correctly or there may be dependancies.
    Ask your system administrator to re-install it.
    Cat, Jul 21, 2003