Error Using JAVA Websphere Webservice - Content Type Text/html

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Mark Overstreet, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I am trying to consume a java webservice running on
    Websphere on the mainframe. The webservice has only one
    method and when I call it, I get the following message:

    Any ideas on where to start debugging this? How can I
    capture the soap envelop that is being sent to the
    mainframe webservice before it leaves my PC in order to
    validate it?

    Thanks
    Mark

    An unhandled exception of
    type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in
    system.web.services.dll

    Additional information: Client found response content type
    of 'text/html; charset=IBM-1047', but expected 'text/xml'.
    The request failed with the error message:
    --
    IMW0254E <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Error</TITLE></HEAD><BODY
    bgcolor="#FFF7E7"><H1>Error 500</H1>Service handler
    Mark Overstreet, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Mark,

    The error message below says "Hey, dude, I got HTML when I was expecting
    XML. I can't do anything with the HTML"

    Next question - WHY is yout webservice client getting HTML from the Java
    webservice?
    Don't know, but it is clearly a server-side issue, you got an HTTP 500 error
    , which I believe translates to "internal error" - internal to the server or
    container (in this case, WebSphere).

    This could be caused by ...
    logic error in the websphere-based app
    lack of exception handling in the websphere logic
    bad configuration of websphere
    or a bunch of other things

    The best advice is to check the Websphere log to track down what really
    happened.

    To check the SOAP back and forth, you can try a proxy-based trace util for
    any HTTP traffic. There are a bunch of them, proxytrace is a nice one. To
    use it, Run proxytrace, Set your proxy in your client code to refer to the
    local proxy, then run the code. Proxytrace shows the outgoing and incoming
    traffic. Proxytrace is free.
    http://www.pocketsoap.com/tcptrace/pt.aspx

    -Dino

    Dino Chiesa [Microsoft], Dec 8, 2003