Error Using JAVA Websphere Webservice - Content Type Text/html

Mark Overstreet

Hi,

I am trying to consume a java webservice running on
Websphere on the mainframe. The webservice has only one
method and when I call it, I get the following message:

Any ideas on where to start debugging this? How can I
capture the soap envelop that is being sent to the
mainframe webservice before it leaves my PC in order to
validate it?

Thanks
Mark

An unhandled exception of
type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in
system.web.services.dll

Additional information: Client found response content type
of 'text/html; charset=IBM-1047', but expected 'text/xml'.
The request failed with the error message:
--
IMW0254E <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Error</TITLE></HEAD><BODY
bgcolor="#FFF7E7"><H1>Error 500</H1>Service handler

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

Mark,

The error message below says "Hey, dude, I got HTML when I was expecting
XML. I can't do anything with the HTML"

Next question - WHY is yout webservice client getting HTML from the Java
webservice?
Don't know, but it is clearly a server-side issue, you got an HTTP 500 error
, which I believe translates to "internal error" - internal to the server or
container (in this case, WebSphere).

This could be caused by ...
logic error in the websphere-based app
lack of exception handling in the websphere logic
bad configuration of websphere
or a bunch of other things

The best advice is to check the Websphere log to track down what really
happened.

To check the SOAP back and forth, you can try a proxy-based trace util for
any HTTP traffic. There are a bunch of them, proxytrace is a nice one. To
use it, Run proxytrace, Set your proxy in your client code to refer to the
local proxy, then run the code. Proxytrace shows the outgoing and incoming
traffic. Proxytrace is free.
http://www.pocketsoap.com/tcptrace/pt.aspx

-Dino