Error using XML - MSXML2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by s_m_b, Jan 11, 2006.

  1. s_m_b

    s_m_b Guest

    This has me stumped.

    I've built an RSS reader using

    Set objXML = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument")
    objXML.async = False
    objXML.setProperty "ServerHTTPRequest", True
    objXML.Load(BBS&"/yabb.pl?action=rss;feedboard="&board)

    there are two versions of the RSS feed, identical as far as I can make
    out, but whereas one works and gets parsed and displayed, the other
    errors:

    Error: opening (http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/yabb_21/nph-yabb.pl?
    action=rss;feedboard=exchange) The download of the specified resource has
    failed. Line No.: 0 Character: 0 File Position: 0 Source Text: Error
    Code:
    -2146697208

    I've tested both feeds via Feeddemon, and they both view through that,
    and loading the page directly into Firefox, both come up with the same
    "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated
    with it. The document tree is shown below."
    In IE, the viewable one shows the xml code, the error one comes back
    blank.
    The only very slight difference I can see via feeddemon's view source is
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
    for the dud one and
    <?xml version="1.0" ?>
    for the viewable one. Taking the encoding out desn't make any difference
    though.
    s_m_b, Jan 11, 2006

  2. s_m_b

    Mettá Guest

    I can't answer your issue, but may have a similar problem with RSS and
    encoding.

    Do you know how to set encoding within ASP pages? As
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?> and others do not affect the
    database output as this defaults to the server settings (in my case
    US-ASCII which fouls up numerous characters?

    ---

    Mettá, Jan 13, 2006

  3. s_m_b

    s_m_b Guest

    "Mettá" <> wrote in

    Response.Write ("<?xml version=""1.0"" encoding=""utf-8""?>" & vbLf)
    Response.Write ("<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC ""-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
    Transitional//EN"" ""http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-
    transitional.dtd"">" & vbLf)
    Response.Write ("<html xmlns=""http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml""
    xml:lang=""en"">" & vbLf)

    is my standard 'header' for asp pages
    or

    <?xml version="1.0" ?>
    <rss version="2.0"
    xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
    for RSS

    can't guarantee that this'll sort your encoding, but keeping to utf and iso
    always seems to give good standard output. The main issue with RSS I find
    is that any characters outside the alpha-numerical standard have to be
    encoded otherwise some readers get upset.

    s_m_b, Jan 16, 2006