Error: VBScript runtime (0x800A01A8) Object required: '[object]'

Discussion in 'XML' started by Carolyn Speakman, Jul 16, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I'm trying to amend an intranet .asp page but keep getting this error.
    The error only occurs when I pull the WHOLE intranet off the server
    and try to run it locally. The error isn't there when the page is run
    off the intranet server.

    I'm using IIS 5, I.E. 6 and WinXP Pro.

    Here's the code it doesn't like:

    <%
    cookieUsrUID = 0
    'response.cookies("cookiePassCode") = 0
    cookieUsrUID = request.cookies("cookieUsrUID")

    ' Get the URL for the RSS file first from the form, then from the
    Cookie
    RSS_URL = Request.Form("headlineURL")
    If RSS_URL = "" Then
    RSS_URL = Request.Cookies( "headlineURL" )
    Else
    Response.Cookies( "headlineURL" ) = RSS_URL
    Response.Cookies( "headlineURL" ).Expires = "Dec 31, 2010"
    End If
    If RSS_URL = "" Then
    ' If it has not been defined, default it to the BBC front
    page
    RSS_URL = "http://news.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_uk_edition/front_page/rss091.xml"
    Response.Cookies( "headlineURL" ) = RSS_URL
    Response.Cookies( "headlineURL" ).Expires = "Dec 31, 2010"
    End If

    %>

    <!-- BLAH BLAH BLAH -->

    <%
    Set rssData = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.DomDocument.4.0")
    rssData.async = False
    rssData.Load( RSS_URL )
    If rssData.parseError.errorCode <> 0 Then
    response.write reason
    End If
    Set rssHeader = rssData.getElementsByTagName("channel")

    <!-- DOESN'T LIKE THIS LINE -->
    lastUpdated = rssHeader.item(0).childNodes(4).text
    <!-- ********************** -->

    Set rssContent = rssData.getElementsByTagName("item")
    rssRows = rssContent.length
    %>

    Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've been sat here for days!!

    Thanks,
    Carolyn
    Carolyn Speakman, Jul 16, 2004

  2. "Carolyn Speakman" <> wrote in message
    > <!-- DOESN'T LIKE THIS LINE -->
    > lastUpdated = rssHeader.item(0).childNodes(4).text
    > <!-- ********************** -->

    The VBScript runtime error "Object required" is roughly equivalent to an
    invalid pointer exception in other languages.

    The code assumes that rssHeader.item(0) returns a valid object (let's call
    it X), and ditto for X.childNodes(4). Either of these method calls could
    "fail" and return the null value. OTOH I forget how VBScript represents the
    null value; you should be able to glean this info from any VBScript
    reference.

    Add some error checking, and/or take a look at the data, ie., experimental
    values for the channel element and its sub-elements. See whether these
    methods are returning valid objects, and if not, why not. The documentation
    for MSXML DOM may be helpful in this regard.

    Clearly your test runs on the server and local machine are getting data that
    is structured differently. Perhaps this clue in and of itself will point to
    a solution.

    Hope this helps.

    /kmc
    Keith M. Corbett, Jul 30, 2004