Error when installing the Python Imaging Library

Tim Adler

Hey everybody,

I'm quite new to Python. I'm working on a webproject with Django and
need to install the Python Imaging Library. It worked fine under Mac OS
but when I try it on my Linux server. It gives me this error:

PasteBin Link: http://phpfi.com/179314

I don't really know what is wrong. Can somebody point me directions. I
really need the PIL to work.

Thx, Tim

Fredrik Lundh

Tim said:
I'm quite new to Python. I'm working on a webproject with Django and
need to install the Python Imaging Library. It worked fine under Mac OS
but when I try it on my Linux server. It gives me this error:

PasteBin Link: http://phpfi.com/179314

I don't really know what is wrong. Can somebody point me directions. I
really need the PIL to work.

the important line is

_imagingtk.c:20:16: tk.h: No such file or directory

which indicates that you don't have complete Tcl/Tk development
libraries on your machine (but you obviously have enough pieces of
them for PIL to think that you have them).

look for tcl-devel and tk-devel or similar packages in your Linux
provider's package repository.

</F>

Tim Adler

Thx, I got it. I installed PIL through the automatic install tool.
Which resolved some dependencies.