Error when try to encrypt connectionstring using aspnet_regiis -pe

rockdale

I followed this article,

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zhhddkxy.aspx

My command is:
aspnet_regiis -pe "connectionStrings" -app "/myWebSiteName" -site
711831 -prov "RsaProtectedConfigurationProvider"

The error message is: A configuration file cannot be created for the
requested configuration object.
Failed!

ASPNET user is under administrators group
my website is not a virtual directory under default website, that's
why I need to specify the site no.
OS is Windows 2003 server

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance
-rockdale

Guest

I followed this article,

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zhhddkxy.aspx

My command is:
aspnet_regiis -pe "connectionStrings" -app "/myWebSiteName" -site
711831 -prov "RsaProtectedConfigurationProvider"

The error message is: A configuration file cannot be created for the
requested configuration object.
Failed!

ASPNET user is under administrators group
my website is not a virtual directory under default website, that's
why I need to specify the site no.
OS is Windows 2003 server

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance
-rockdale

Try to use -location instead of -app -site. App exprected a virtual
path.

aspnet_regiis.exe /?

-pe section Encrypt the configuration section. Optional
arguments:
[-prov provider] Use this provider to encrypt.
[-app virtual-path] Encrypt at this virtual path.
Virtual
path must begin with a forward slash. If it is
'/', then it
refers to the root of the site. If -app is not
specified,
the root web.config will be encrypted.
[-site site-name-or-ID] The site of the virtual
path
specified in -app. If not specified, the default
web site
will be used.
[-location sub-path] Location sub path.
[-pkm] Encrypt/decrypt the machine.config instead
of
web.config.

Mohamad Elarabi

Did you try doing a aspnet_regiis -pef instead of -pe? You can then reference
the config file's physical path and avoid the hassle. I've always used that
anyways. To me it seems more precise and less blackboxish.