Error when trying to use ASP.Net Web Administration Tool

martin.lundberg

Hello!

I've just donwloaded February 2005 Community Technical Preview Release
of both Web Developer Express and Sql Server Express and when I'm in
Web developer express goes to the menu item Website > ASP Configuration
I'm taken to the ASP.Net Web Administration Tool and this message is
showed to me:

"Access is denied for the application you are attempting to
administer."

Anyone who knows what can cause this? What can I do?

Thanks in advance!

Daniel Danilin

same problem here.

no SSL.

I have this problem since Beta 1.

Beta1 was OK, then I have uninstalled it and installed December edition (got
this problem). Now I uninstalled Dec. edition and installed Februar edition.
Problem still exists.

Lundberg

Hello again, the url that Visual C# Express opens in the browser is:
http://localhost:52229/asp.netwebadminfiles/home1.aspx
I tried to change to 8098 instead of 52229 but that didn't help.

Just like Daniel I didn't have this problem in Beta 1 but now in the
February CTP I do.

Any more ideas? =) Or should I wait and hope that they've fixed it (if
theres anything to fix and it's not just me doing something wrong) in
Beta 2 thats coming soon.

Thanks in advance!

Daniel Danilin

I solved the problem :)

1) go to %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.xxxx\CONFIG\
2) open web.config
3) search for <webSiteAdministrationTool>
4) change line <allow roles="administrators" applicationPath="*" /> so
"roles" attribute matches your windows group for administrators. for example
you should change it to administratoren, if you have german version of
windows.

Lundberg

Woho!...but....Argh! An errorr....

I'm using a Swedish Windows so It's proberbly Administratörer and the
ö seems to create a problem because it just disapears, even if its:

<allow roles="administratörer" applicationPath="*" />

in the file the error message I get when trying to access the Admin
tool is:

<allow roles="administratrer" applicationPath="*" />

They magicly removed the swedish letter! =/

Any ideas?

Sorry for being such a pain ;P Thanks once again for helping me!

Lundberg

I fixed it by using ö instead of ö writing:

<allow roles="administratörer" applicationPath="*" />

I've got another problem, when I'm in the Admin tool and click on
provider > select single provider, I only have AspNetAccessProvider and
no AspNetSQLProvider, where have the sqlprovider gone? I'll start a new
thread on this problem.

Thanks for all the help :)

Juan T. Llibre

While using ö fixed *that* problem,
there's no telling when *other* similar problems will appear.

I'd suggest you use this in your web.config file :

<globalization
fileEncoding="iso-8859-1"
requestEncoding="iso-8859-1"
responseEncoding="iso-8859-1"
culture="sv-SE"
uiCulture="sv-SE"/>

The last two are optional, only if you want dates,
times and currency settings to appear in swedish style,
but the threee encoding settings will prevent the problems
which arise out of the use of characters in the range 128-255.

best,