error when using update query

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Jimmy Tran, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. Jimmy Tran

    Jimmy Tran Guest

    Hello,
    I am doing a bmw tracking project for school using asp and access2000.
    on my search.asp page, I can search for a particular bmw and order it if
    i want. It works fine when i do select query to get data. But when I try
    to order a bmw(using update query), it gives me this message error:
    Error Type:
    Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    Operation must use an updateable query.
    /bmw/search.asp, line 257

    I have gone in to set IIS permission status to both read/write and
    change everything that seemed obvious. but i still get this same error
    message. Thank you in advance for anyone that can help me.

    thank you,
    JImm

    Jimmy Tran, Dec 3, 2003

  2. Jimmy Tran

    Rob Meade Guest

    "Jimmy Tran" wrote ...

    > But when I try
    > to order a bmw(using update query), it gives me this message error:
    > Error Type:
    > Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    > Operation must use an updateable query.
    > /bmw/search.asp, line 257

    Hi Jim,

    please post your SQL statement(s)..

    Regards

    Rob

    Rob Meade, Dec 3, 2003

  3. Jimmy Tran

    Ray at Guest

    Give read/write NTFS permissions to IUSR on the directory with the .mdb
    file.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Dec 3, 2003
  4. You need to have write permissions on the folder you Access database is
    in. It has nothing to do with your SQL query.

    Andrew

    DEVBuilder.org, http://www.DEVBuilder.org
    ASP,ASP.NET,VB.NET,PHP,Java,and SQL Support, all in one place.

    Andrew Durstewitz, Dec 3, 2003
  5. http://www.aspfaq.com/2062

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Dec 3, 2003
  6. Jimmy Tran

    Jimmy Tran Guest

    here's part of the code, thx

    Case "editsave"
    ' Part 2 of 2: Here's where we save the values that the
    ' user entered back to the DB. Again... no error
    ' handling or input checking so ' characters and invalid
    ' values will throw error messages.
    iRecordId = Request.Form("id")
    iRecordId = Replace(iRecordId, "'", "''")

    ' Date delimiter on this should be changed to # for Access
    strSQL2 = "UPDATE car SET stat= 'O' WHERE (id = " & iRecordId & ")"
    'strSQL2 ="select * from car where id = "& iRecordID &""

    response.write strSQL2
    Set rstSearch = cnnSearch.Execute(strSQL2)
    cnnDBEdit.Close

    Jimmy Tran, Dec 3, 2003