error while executing the code

Ravikiran Basa

i run the below code with ruby interpritor(1.8.7)

i am getting error " ruby: illegal switch in RUBYOPT: -=EF=BF=BD (Runtime=
Error)"

class Animal
def set_noise(noi)
@noise=3Dnoi
end

def make_noise
@noise
end
end

ani=3DAnimal.new
ani1=3DAnimal.new
puts ani1.make_noise
ani.set_noise("gur")
puts ani.make_noise

if the same code is run in Netbeans IDE(Jruby) i am getting expected
output.

Can somebody explain the reason?

-- =

Stefano Crocco

|------------------------------------------------------------

|---------------------------------------------------------------

|if the same code is run in Netbeans IDE(Jruby) i am getting expected
|output.
|
|Can somebody explain the reason?

The error you're seeing doesn't depend on your code, but it's caused by the=
=20
environment variable RUBYOPT including an invalid option. In case you don't=
=20
already know it, RUBYOPT is a list of options passed to ruby every time it =
is=20
run and it's used to avoid repeating the same options every time on the=20
command line. In your case, it seems that your RUBYOPTION contains an inval=
id=20
option. For example, I get the same error message with the following line:

RUBYOPT=3D"-q" ruby
ruby: invalid option -q (-h will show valid options) (RuntimeError)

Try display the contents of RUBYOPT and see if it contains something wrong.

I hope this helps

Stefano

Ravikiran Basa

Thanks Stefano,

I have run the above code (copied above code to test.rb) with the
command
# RUBYOPT="-w" ruby /home/basa/Desktop/test.rb
then it worked fine.But can you tell me how to set RUBYOPT properly.

I mean i should be able to execute

# ruby test.rb