"Error while registering the Java 2 Runtime Environment registry keys"

Discussion in 'Java' started by PilotYid, Nov 2, 2005.

  1. PilotYid

    PilotYid Guest

    "Error while registering the Java 2 Runtime Environment registry keys"

    I am getting the above error when trying to install the 1.3 JRE
    (installed with the 1.3 plug in which I need). As part of my
    development I have been installing and uninstalling the JRE multiple
    times. Then, I got the above error when trying to install it, and now
    it appears to be installed but I cannot uninstall it. When I try to
    uninstall it, it just remains, and when I try to install it again I get
    the above error. I have tried cleaning up all javasoft registry
    entries, but it doesnt seem to have helped. Can anyone help me either
    completely uninstall the JRE so I can do a clean install or help me get
    rid of the error above when I install. Is there some registry entries I
    should be looking at? Anything else? this is quite urgent as I need to
    test my applet with the plugin installed and not installed - and I
    currently cant uninstall it. Any ideas?
    Thanks for your help
    Aaron

    PilotYid, Nov 2, 2005

  2. PilotYid

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 1 Nov 2005 18:57:25 -0800, "PilotYid" <> wrote,

    > Can anyone help me either
    >completely uninstall the JRE so I can do a clean install or help me get
    >rid of the error above when I install.

    My rule of thumb after getting screwed many times is to have only one
    JRE /JDK at a time installed on a machine.

    If you do that, uninstalling the old before installing the new, all
    works smoothly.

    You can't then run into problems with code from two different JRE
    versions getting muddled together.

    Start by uninstalling and deleting the various JRE/JDK directory
    trees.

    Delete any copies of java.exe or javaws.exe anywhere you find them.

    If your registry is hosed, see my notes on the Java entries. Just
    delete them all. http://mindprod.com/jgloss/registry.html

    Now start from scratch and install one JDK or JRE.

    I have an install script I run after installing Java to fix up the ext
    directories, check the classpath, path etc.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/classpath.html#EXT

    The follow the instructions here on testing your JRE.

    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jre.html#TESTING
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Nov 2, 2005