Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. The project is not c

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Ken Stealth, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Ken Stealth

    Ken Stealth Guest

    I spend more time tweaking this stupid computer than I do
    programming!!!! Although I love working in .NET when I finally get
    the chance - I absolutley hate its fragile nature. What a mess....

    Anyway, I've googled the crap out of this error message and there are
    at least a half a dozen non-related solutions. Thanks to Microsoft
    for only suggesting one and leaving you high and dry!

    Here's my scenario:

    I'm working on my laptop with an application that works fine in
    VisualStudio development. Debugging works. Everything works. I copy
    the project over to another PC (faster) when I get back to my office
    and it produces the error message. Both machines are running the same
    version of VS 2003, both have framework 1.1 installed and registered
    correctly with IIS.

    On the machine having the problem I can create a new project and no
    debug errors occur. This leads me to think that my project has more
    to do with the problem than the .NET settings of the PC.

    I've been through the DOS days where our apps could all fit in a
    directory, then I lived through DLL hell - but somehow .NET seems even
    worse. If your computer isn't 3.75 feet off the ground and facing
    east between 10am and 1pm then you have to start over!

    So I guess the question is - why can't you copy a the source code from
    one machine to another and work on it as long as all the files are
    included and the paths are the same?

    We're all gonna need therapy

    Ken Stealth, Jan 31, 2004

  2. It does work, because I do it all the time. When you copy a directory over,
    you haven't yet mapped a virtual path. Go into IIS mmc snap in and find your
    folder, right click on it. Choose properties, in the default tab, click the
    create button. This makes everything nice and toasty. If this doesn't work
    for you, something else is wrong, in which case you should promptly post a
    reply.

    When you create a project with studio, it does all that for you behind the
    scenes. When you copy a project, there is nothing to do this manual labor
    for you, so it remains undone - hence the error.
    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Jan 31, 2004

  3. If you're having debugging problems, you should try this document, is written by the Microsoft C# team, It saved me when I was as desperate as you are!

    www.gotdotnet.com/team/csharp/learn/whitepapers/ howtosolvedebuggerproblems.doc

    jdgx(Colombia)

    =?Utf-8?B?amRneChDb2xvbWJpYSk=?=, Jan 31, 2004