Error with win32com client on windows 2003 server

Discussion in 'Python' started by SPJ, Apr 18, 2008.

  1. SPJ

    SPJ Guest

    Sorry, forgot to mention Subject in my earlier post, hence reposting.
    ------------
    I am writing a script which need's to convert an excel file to csv (text) format. For that I am using the following code:

    excel = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application","Quit")
    workbook = excel.Workbooks.Open(xlsfile)
    workbook.SaveAs(csvfile, FileFormat=24) # 24 represents xlCSVMSDOS
    workbook.Close(False)
    excel.Quit()

    I did not have any problem running this script on a windows xp machine with python 2.5.2 and windows extensions. But I get the following error when I run the same script on a windows 2003 server with the same python and windows extension installation:

    excel = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application","Quit")
    File "D:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py", line 95, in Dispatch
    dispatch, userName = dynamic._GetGoodDispatchAndUserName(dispatch,userName,clsctx)
    File "D:\Python25\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 98, in _GetGoodDispatchAndUserName
    return (_GetGoodDispatch(IDispatch, clsctx), userName)
    File "D:\Python25\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 78, in _GetGoodDispatch
    IDispatch = pythoncom.CoCreateInstance(IDispatch, None, clsctx, pythoncom.IID_IDispatch)
    com_error: (-2147221005, 'Invalid class string', None, None)

    I verified that installation is same. Any idea's as to what might be the problem? One thing I have noticed though is I can't see Microsoft office 11.0 object library when I do combrowse on windows 2003 server. I also to tried to reinstall python and windows extension. But still no luck.

    I would appreciate if anyone can guide me as to why this is happening and how to resolve this.

    Thanks,
    SPJ

    Be a better friend, newshound, and

    SPJ, Apr 18, 2008

  2. On Apr 18, 3:12 pm, SPJ <> wrote:
    > Sorry, forgot to mention Subject in my earlier post, hence reposting.
    > ------------
    > I am writing a script which need's to convert an excel file to csv (text) format. For that I am using the following code:
    >
    > excel = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application","Quit")
    > workbook = excel.Workbooks.Open(xlsfile)
    > workbook.SaveAs(csvfile, FileFormat=24) # 24 represents xlCSVMSDOS
    > workbook.Close(False)
    > excel.Quit()
    >
    > I did not have any problem running this script on a windows xp machine with python 2.5.2 and windows extensions. But I get the following error when I run the same script on a windows 2003 server with the same python and windows extension installation:
    >
    > excel = win32com.client.Dispatch("Excel.Application","Quit")
    > File "D:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py", line 95, in Dispatch
    > dispatch, userName = dynamic._GetGoodDispatchAndUserName(dispatch,userName,clsctx)
    > File "D:\Python25\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 98, in _GetGoodDispatchAndUserName
    > return (_GetGoodDispatch(IDispatch, clsctx), userName)
    > File "D:\Python25\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 78, in _GetGoodDispatch
    > IDispatch = pythoncom.CoCreateInstance(IDispatch, None, clsctx, pythoncom.IID_IDispatch)
    > com_error: (-2147221005, 'Invalid class string', None, None)
    >
    > I verified that installation is same. Any idea's as to what might be the problem? One thing I have noticed though is I can't see Microsoft office 11.0 object library when I do combrowse on windows 2003 server. I also to tried to reinstall python and windows extension. But still no luck.
    >
    > I would appreciate if anyone can guide me as to why this is happening and how to resolve this.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > SPJ

    > Be a better friend, newshound, and

    I would recommend that you re-post to the PyWin32 user's group. They
    know the low-down on this stuff.

    However, if you cannot access the object library, than that's probably
    the problem. I've no idea how to resolve that though. The gurus on the
    group linked above would likely know however.

    Mike

    Mike Driscoll, Apr 18, 2008