    error would be returned after upgrading the compatibility level?
    Thanks a ton for any help.

    , Jan 25, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > Hello, we are preparing for an upgrade to SQL 2005 and as a result of
    > this I became aware that the compatibility level of one of our
    > databases was set to level 65 (current SQL server is SQL 2000 SP4).
    > Managing this server is something I have fallen into, so I am not sure
    > of the exact reasons its compatibility level has stayed lower. When I
    > upgrade the level however, some of our ASP pages throw the following
    > error:
    >
    > ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bcd'
    > Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted.
    > Requested operation requires a current record.
    >
    > The recordsets for these asp pages are being saved in sessions, which
    > I know can be problematic. Does anyone have any idea though why this
    > error would be returned after upgrading the compatibility level?
    > Thanks a ton for any help.

    Could you provide a small repro script?
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jan 25, 2006

    Thanks for the reply. Here is the snippet of code causing the error.
    If this is not what you need to see or if you need to see more of
    what's around it, let me know. The "rsPages.MoveFirst" is the line
    that is referenced by the error. Thanks!

    If IsEmpty(Session("rsPages_Recordset")) Then
    tNeedPages = True
    Else
    If Session("rsPages_Recordset") Is Nothing Then
    tNeedPages = True
    Else
    Set rsPages = Session("rsPages_Recordset")
    rsPages.MoveFirst

    End If
    End If

    , Jan 25, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply. Here is the snippet of code causing the error.
    > If this is not what you need to see or if you need to see more of
    > what's around it, let me know. The "rsPages.MoveFirst" is the line
    > that is referenced by the error. Thanks!
    >

    > If IsEmpty(Session("rsPages_Recordset")) Then
    > tNeedPages = True
    > Else
    > If Session("rsPages_Recordset") Is Nothing Then
    > tNeedPages = True
    > Else
    > Set rsPages = Session("rsPages_Recordset")
    > rsPages.MoveFirst
    >
    > End If
    > End If

    So I assume this is a disconnected recordset...
    You should persist this to a file rather than storing it in session.
    My first thought is: never perform a recordset navigation without first
    checking for EOF or BOF (depending on the direction in which you are
    moving).

    You need to determine which condition is actually triggering that error:
    If rsPages.State=adStateClosed then
    response.write "The recordset is closed"
    elseif rspages.bof then
    response.write "We're already at the beginning of the recordset"
    else
    rsPages.MoveFirst
    end if

    I think it would be helpful to show us the actual contents of the recordset
    by using rsPages.Save to save it as XML and posting the result here.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jan 25, 2006