Errors in generating hash

Joined
Mar 3, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello all,

I am newbie to C but i am trying to edit an existing code that generates hash values. this works quite well but after 20 values the hash values are repeated and no longer unique. What can i do to make sure that the hash values are unique for at least 1000 values? Please find below the code..

static
void hash_function(url_t *url, unsigned char *buf, void *user_data)
{
unsigned char ans;
const char *ptr;

for (ans = 0, ptr = url->url_host; *ptr != '\0'; ptr++)
ans += *ptr;
if (url->url_user)
for (ptr = url->url_user; *ptr != '\0'; ptr++)
ans += *ptr;
if (url->url_port)
for (ptr = url->url_port; *ptr != '\0'; ptr++)
ans += *ptr;

buf[0] = ans;
}

thanks for your help