Errors using installing perl modules

Manuel

Hallo,
i normally used ppm to install perl modules on windows and i never had
any problems. I just switched to linux (xubuntu) and i'm trying to
install WWW::Mechanize but it does not work. This is what i did ( root
user):

root@server:~/Desktop# perl -MCPAN -e shell
Terminal does not support AddHistory.

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.7601)
ReadLine support available (try 'install Bundle::CPAN')
cpan> install WWW::Mechanize
Running install for module WWW::Mechanize
Running make for P/PE/PETDANCE/WWW-Mechanize-1.32.tar.gz
CPAN: Digest::MD5 loaded ok
CPAN: Compress::Zlib loaded ok
Checksum for /root/.cpan/sources/authors/id/P/PE/PETDANCE/WWW-
Mechanize-1.32.tar.gz ok
Scanning cache /root/.cpan/build for sizes
Deleting from cache: /root/.cpan/build/Crypt-SSLeay-0.57 (11.0>10.0
MB)
Deleting from cache: /root/.cpan/build/YAML-0.66 (10.7>10.0 MB)
Deleting from cache: /root/.cpan/build/libwww-perl-5.808 (10.2>10.0
MB)
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/perlcriticrc
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/lib/
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/lib/WWW/
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/lib/WWW/Mechanize/
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/lib/WWW/Mechanize/Image.pm
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/lib/WWW/Mechanize/Link.pm
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/lib/WWW/Mechanize/Examples.pod
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/lib/WWW/Mechanize/Cookbook.pod
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/lib/WWW/Mechanize/FAQ.pod
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/lib/WWW/Mechanize.pm
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/etc/
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/etc/www-mechanize-logo.png
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/bin/
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/bin/mech-dump
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/MANIFEST
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/Changes
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/META.yml
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/find_link_id.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/upload.html
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/image-new.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/autocheck.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/upload.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/00-load.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/clone.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/image-parse.html
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/regex-error.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/pod-coverage.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/find_inputs.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/warnings.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/find_image.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/find_link.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/select.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/new.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/image-parse.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/save_content.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/link-relative.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/live/
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/live/computers4sure.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/live/wikipedia.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/field.html
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/link.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/find_link-warnings.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/tick.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/find_link.html
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/add_header.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/aliases.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/link-base.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/select.html
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/frames.html
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/google.html
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/pod.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/tick.html
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/find_link_id.html
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/field.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/taint.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/area_link.html
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/find_inputs.html
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/die.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/mech-dump/
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/mech-dump/mech-dump.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/frames.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/warn.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/local/
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/local/referer.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/local/submit.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/local/page_stack.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/local/form.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/local/click.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/local/log-server
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/local/get.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/local/follow.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/local/referer-server
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/local/overload.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/local/reload.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/local/failure.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/local/back.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/local/click_button.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/local/LocalServer.pm
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/area_link.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/t/form-parsing.t
WWW-Mechanize-1.32/Makefile.PL
Removing previously used /root/.cpan/build/WWW-Mechanize-1.32

CPAN.pm: Going to build P/PE/PETDANCE/WWW-Mechanize-1.32.tar.gz

WWW::Mechanize likes to have a lot of test modules for some of its
tests.
The following are modules that would be nice to have, but not
required.

Test::Memory::Cycle
Test::Warn
Test::Taint

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for WWW::Mechanize
-- NOT OK
Running make test
Can't test without successful make
Running make install
make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

Ben Morrow

Quoth Manuel said:
i normally used ppm to install perl modules on windows and i never had
any problems. I just switched to linux (xubuntu) and i'm trying to
install WWW::Mechanize but it does not work.

If you are using the perl that came with your system, I generally find
it's easier to install Perl modules using the system package manager
where it supports them. You get all the goodies of your package manager
that CPAN.pm doesn't do, like the ability to uninstall and automatic
upgrades. Since Ubuntu is Debian-based, and Debian are one of the better
OS distributors with regard to packaging Perl modules I would expect
WWW::Mech to be there.
This is what i did ( root user):

root@server:~/Desktop# perl -MCPAN -e shell
Terminal does not support AddHistory.

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.7601)
ReadLine support available (try 'install Bundle::CPAN')
cpan> install WWW::Mechanize
Running install for module WWW::Mechanize
Running make for P/PE/PETDANCE/WWW-Mechanize-1.32.tar.gz <snip<

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for WWW::Mechanize
-- NOT OK

Doesn't look like you've done anything wrong to me... The next step is
to try 'look WWW::Mechanize', which will drop you in a shell in the
WWW::Mechanize directory, and try running

perl Makefile.PL
make
make install

by hand. If there is an INSTALL or README file you could read it, to see
if there are any particular issues with this module that CPAN.pm doesn't
know about. If Makefile.PL still fails (that is, if it doesn't generate
a Makefile) then post the transcript again and we'll have another look
:).

Ben

Manuel

Doesn't look like you've done anything wrong to me... The next step is
to try 'look WWW::Mechanize', which will drop you in a shell in the
WWW::Mechanize directory, and try running

perl Makefile.PL
make
make install
Hey Ben,
yes that worked for me! thanx so much from italy :)