Escape Characters for Songs?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nehmo, Oct 3, 2011.

  1. Nehmo

    Nehmo Guest

    Nehmo, Oct 3, 2011

  2. Nehmo wrote:
    > I discovered some lyrics sites http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/o/one_republic/secrets.html
    > put the actual lyrics of a song in the source HTML document in escape
    > characters. What’s the purpose of this?

    In a vain attempt to prevent copying the lyrics...

    "I need another story
    Something to get off my chest
    My life gets kinda boring
    Need something that I can confess

    'Til all my sleeves are stained red
    From all the truth that I've said
    Come by it honestly I swear
    Thought you saw me wink, no
    I've been on the brink, so..."

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 3, 2011

  3. 3.10.2011 15:34, Nehmo wrote:

    > I discovered some lyrics sites http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/o/one_republic/secrets.html
    > put the actual lyrics of a song in the source HTML document in escape
    > characters. What’s the purpose of this?

    Hard to tell. Probably there is no purpose. Probably the text has just
    been processed by a program that converts everything to character
    references. It could be a precautions against incidential non-ISO-8859-1
    characters in data - a precaution taken too far, and too sloppily (the
    references do not end with a semicolon, which implies that the data
    won't work as such in XML context).

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 3, 2011
  4. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > 3.10.2011 15:34, Nehmo wrote:
    >
    >> I discovered some lyrics sites
    >> http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/o/one_republic/secrets.html
    >> put the actual lyrics of a song in the source HTML document in escape
    >> characters. What’s the purpose of this?

    > Hard to tell. Probably there is no purpose. Probably the text has just
    > been processed by a program that converts everything to character
    > references. It could be a precautions against incidential non-ISO-8859-1
    > characters in data - a precaution taken too far, and too sloppily (the
    > references do not end with a semicolon, which implies that the data
    > won't work as such in XML context).

    I think I am on the correct track. There is JavaScript disabling the
    right-click so encoding the lyrics would obfuscate the lyrics in the
    source when someone tried viewing source to get a round the right-click
    handler.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 3, 2011
  5. 3.10.2011 16:47, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > I think I am on the correct track.

    Copy-protection might indeed be the explanation.

    > There is JavaScript disabling the
    > right-click so encoding the lyrics would obfuscate the lyrics in the
    > source when someone tried viewing source to get a round the right-click
    > handler.

    So do you mean that you have to ***gasp*** disable JavaScript to
    override this ingenious high-tech copy protection system?

    (There's some irony in the attempt to prevent copying on a site that has
    probably copied its own content mostly illegally.)

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 3, 2011
  6. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > 3.10.2011 16:47, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> I think I am on the correct track.

    > Copy-protection might indeed be the explanation.
    >
    >> There is JavaScript disabling the
    >> right-click so encoding the lyrics would obfuscate the lyrics in the
    >> source when someone tried viewing source to get a round the right-click
    >> handler.

    > So do you mean that you have to ***gasp*** disable JavaScript to
    > override this ingenious high-tech copy protection system?

    Yes sad isn't it?

    > (There's some irony in the attempt to prevent copying on a site that has
    > probably copied its own content mostly illegally.)

    That too!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 3, 2011
  7. Nehmo

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <j6cgi2$o9j$>, says...

    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > > 3.10.2011 16:47, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > >
    > >> I think I am on the correct track.

    > > Copy-protection might indeed be the explanation.
    > >
    > >> There is JavaScript disabling the
    > >> right-click so encoding the lyrics would obfuscate the lyrics in the
    > >> source when someone tried viewing source to get a round the right-click
    > >> handler.

    > > So do you mean that you have to ***gasp*** disable JavaScript to
    > > override this ingenious high-tech copy protection system?

    > Yes sad isn't it?
    >

    > > (There's some irony in the attempt to prevent copying on a site that has
    > > probably copied its own content mostly illegally.)
    > >

    > That too!

    I just rigth-click on the text, choice "This frame" then "View Frame
    source" using SeaMonkey browser (a firefox flavor) and i got :

    id="lyrics">I need another story<br>
    Something to get off my chest<br>
    My life gets kinda boring<br>
    Need something that I can confess<br>
    'Til all my sleeves are stained red<br>
    From all the truth that I've said<br>
    Come by it honestly I swear<br>
    Thought you saw me wink, no<br>

    I've been on the brink, so<br>
    bla-bla-bla

    Ray_Net, Oct 3, 2011
  8. Ray_Net wrote:

    > I just rigth-click on the text, choice "This frame" then "View Frame
    > source" using SeaMonkey browser (a firefox flavor) and i got :

    You have JavaScript disabled, else you cannot right-click to view "This
    frame". I am using SeaMonkey 2.4.1

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 3, 2011
  9. Mon, 03 Oct 2011 18:31:54 -0400, /Jonathan N. Little/:
    > Ray_Net wrote:
    >
    >> I just rigth-click on the text, choice "This frame" then "View Frame
    >> source" using SeaMonkey browser (a firefox flavor) and i got :

    > You have JavaScript disabled, else you cannot right-click to view
    > "This frame". I am using SeaMonkey 2.4.1

    I don't have JavaScript disabled, but I have Edit -> Preferences:

    Advanced / Scripts & Plugins:

    Allow scripts to:
    [ ] Disable or replace context menus

    (unchecked)

    --
    Stanimir

    Stanimir Stamenkov, Oct 4, 2011
  10. Nehmo

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Oct 3, 8:15 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    > Nehmo wrote:
    > > I discovered some lyrics siteshttp://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/o/one_republic/secrets.html
    > > put the actual lyrics of a song in the source HTML document in escape
    > > characters. What’s the purpose of this?

    > In a vain attempt to prevent copying the lyrics...

    I just usually use Gadwin Print Screen to save something of this sort
    to a file or print it out. You can select an area of the screen to
    capture so that you do not have to go to some other image program to
    clip out the portion of the full screen that you wish. Gadwin Print
    Screen may not work on some OSs, but there are likely other programs
    that will.

    Javascript based scramble methods go back at least to IE4 and NN4
    days. Of course there were even then easy ways to get around them.
    Some urls are:

    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/encrypter.htm

    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright.htm
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright2.htm
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright3.htm

    cwdjrxyz, Oct 4, 2011
  11. Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:

    > I don't have JavaScript disabled, but I have Edit -> Preferences:
    >
    > Advanced / Scripts & Plugins:
    >
    > Allow scripts to:
    > [ ] Disable or replace context menus
    >
    > (unchecked)

    Forgot about that setting. Back in the day when SeaMonkey was Mozilla
    and older Communicator the advanced settings did not have that option

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 4, 2011
  12. Nehmo

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <j6dd49$93g$>, says...

    > Ray_Net wrote:
    >

    > > I just rigth-click on the text, choice "This frame" then "View Frame
    > > source" using SeaMonkey browser (a firefox flavor) and i got :

    > You have JavaScript disabled, else you cannot right-click to view "This
    > frame". I am using SeaMonkey 2.4.1

    Correct ! yes and no. I have the java plugin disabled.
    BUT, on a personal page i have javascript to perform some functions -
    and this is working ok. So my javascript is not disabled.

    Ray_Net, Oct 4, 2011
  13. Ray_Net wrote:
    > In article<j6dd49$93g$>, says...
    >>
    >> Ray_Net wrote:
    >>

    >>> I just rigth-click on the text, choice "This frame" then "View Frame
    >>> source" using SeaMonkey browser (a firefox flavor) and i got :

    >> You have JavaScript disabled, else you cannot right-click to view "This
    >> frame". I am using SeaMonkey 2.4.1

    > Correct ! yes and no. I have the java plugin disabled.

    Ditto

    > BUT, on a personal page i have javascript to perform some functions -
    > and this is working ok. So my javascript is not disabled.

    But then as Stanimir pointed out you must have the advance setting
    "Preferences > Advance > Scripts & Plugins > Disable or replace context
    menus" unchecked, otherwise the site's JavaScript would have blocked
    your right-click menu.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 4, 2011
  14. Nehmo

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <j6f7j7$dh7$>, says...

    > Ray_Net wrote:

    > >> You have JavaScript disabled, else you cannot right-click to view "This
    > >> frame". I am using SeaMonkey 2.4.1

    > > Correct ! yes and no. I have the java plugin disabled.

    > Ditto
    >
    > > BUT, on a personal page i have javascript to perform some functions -
    > > and this is working ok. So my javascript is not disabled.

    > But then as Stanimir pointed out you must have the advance setting
    > "Preferences > Advance > Scripts & Plugins > Disable or replace context
    > menus" unchecked, otherwise the site's JavaScript would have blocked
    > your right-click menu.

    Correct ! You are the best !

    Ray_Net, Oct 5, 2011
  15. On 2011-10-04 00:31:54 +0200, Jonathan N. Little said:

    > Ray_Net wrote:
    >

    >> I just rigth-click on the text, choice "This frame" then "View Frame
    >> source" using SeaMonkey browser (a firefox flavor) and i got :

    > You have JavaScript disabled, else you cannot right-click to view "This
    > frame". I am using SeaMonkey 2.4.1

    I don't have JavaScript disabled, but all I need to do is select the
    text, copy it, and paste it into a text editor. That's it. I don't know
    if that wotks in all browsers, but it works just fine in mine (iCab).
    The only effect I can see is that it makes the page about five times
    slower to load.

    --
    athel

    Athel Cornish-Bowden, Oct 6, 2011
  16. Nehmo

    P E Schoen Guest

    "Jonathan N. Little" wrote in message news:j6cchl$tq9$...

    > Nehmo wrote:
    >> I discovered some lyrics sites

    http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/o/one_republic/secrets.html
    >> put the actual lyrics of a song in the source HTML document in
    >> escape characters. What’s the purpose of this?

    > In a vain attempt to prevent copying the lyrics...

    I found that saving it "As HTML" from IE9 converts the escape characters to
    plain text, and then you can just extract that (which includes the HTML tags
    for formatting).

    It is effective for keeping the usual customers from lifting the content
    easily.

    Paul

    P E Schoen, Oct 9, 2011