Ethereal not capturing calls to localhost

Jeff User

Hello
I have been using Ethereal to capture and view the XML messages being
passed back and forth from my web service client to my web service.

When calling the service over the internet, I choose my network card
connection to the internet in Ethereal and it captures all the traffic
back and forth.

Problem is that when I call a web service on my local machine, same
machine as the client, no packets are being seen or captured.

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to get this to work?

Thanks
Jeff

Jan Peter Stotz

Jeff said:
When calling the service over the internet, I choose my network card
connection to the internet in Ethereal and it captures all the traffic
back and forth.
Problem is that when I call a web service on my local machine, same
machine as the client, no packets are being seen or captured.
Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to get this to work?

Sorry, there is no chance to make this work. Ethereal/WinPCAP can not
monitor localhost packets. That is a Windows-limitation. See FAQ question
13:

http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-13

Jan

Jeff User

Alrighty then
So now I am back to my original question from 2 months ago:
How can I catch and view the XML being sent between my web service and
my web client of they are both running on the same machine?
Is there anyway to intercept this in VS?

Thanks for the link
Jeff