Ethernet MAC core

Michael Nicklas

Hi

quick question:

does anyone know of a (reliable) free Ethernet MAC core?

I am looking for a good example to gain familiarity with its operation.

Thanks

Mike

Allan Herriman

Hi

quick question:

does anyone know of a (reliable) free Ethernet MAC core?

I am looking for a good example to gain familiarity with its operation.

The operation is described by the IEEE 803.3 standard, which is
available (for free) from http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/

You will probably find it more instructive to read the standard than
to reverse engineer someone else's (possibly non-compliant) core.

Interestingly, the middle speed MACs (1G) may be simpler (and
therefore easier to understand) than the low speed ones (10M, 100M),
since they (usually) don't have to worry about collisions or half
duplex operation.

Regards
Allan.