    I am looking for a good example to gain familiarity with its operation.

    Thanks

    Mike

    Michael Nicklas, Nov 12, 2003

  2. Michael Nicklas

    Marc Guest

    Mike, look at www.opencores.org, there is one.
    I use this core, it is working fine.

    Marc

    Marc, Nov 12, 2003

  3. On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:16:05 -0000, "Michael Nicklas"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >quick question:
    >
    >does anyone know of a (reliable) free Ethernet MAC core?
    >
    >I am looking for a good example to gain familiarity with its operation.

    The operation is described by the IEEE 803.3 standard, which is
    available (for free) from http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/

    You will probably find it more instructive to read the standard than
    to reverse engineer someone else's (possibly non-compliant) core.

    Interestingly, the middle speed MACs (1G) may be simpler (and
    therefore easier to understand) than the low speed ones (10M, 100M),
    since they (usually) don't have to worry about collisions or half
    duplex operation.

    Regards
    Allan.

    Allan Herriman, Nov 13, 2003