ettiquette question

Nikolai Weibull

Sy, April 16:
Posting regularly seems like adding more noise to the ML. It's not
relevant to people who have been here for more than a month, and not
relevant to people who already do Ruby (and probably already know
about your work)
Don't the members of this ML have to pass through all sorts of other
Ruby-related resources before finding us and signing up here? -- i.e.
wouldn't it be more effective to make a permanent signpost at one of
those resources?

I concur,
nikolai

Steven Jenkins

Chris said:
[much caution]
So how does this ammended plan sound?

Chris,

Forums like this are a buyer's market. Put it out there are let people
take it or leave it. As far as I'm concerned, a bi-weekly on-topic
informational post is most welcome. And if a few complain, well, too
bad. They can ignore it or filter it, just as many of us do with the
endless stream of off-topic threads that are a fact of life on the net.

Steve

P.S. Now, about your spelling.... :)

Kristof Bastiaensen

Let's keep it short. The FAQ is daunting. I don't think I've ever read
it completely. It's like the Constitution. I might read it if somebody
could scrawl it out on parchment for me and get the RubyCentral
delegates to ratify. (Why envisions his future palatial estate with a
rotunda, bust of a nicely combed Matz, 23.1 carat Carmen Lucia gem, lock
of son-shi's hair, FAQ under glass, etc.)

Why not create a newbee-FAQ? There seem to be many newbee's (because
of the succes of rails?), so it may be useful for them, and keeping the
current FAQ for the more advanced Rubyiststs.

K.

James Britt

I've added a page to ruby-doc.org to short-list newcomer resources.

http://www.ruby-doc.org/gettingstarted/

There is also a link to this page from the menu at the top of the
ruby-doc.org main page.

Something like this really does belong on the main ruby-lang.org site as
well, though I believe the VIT people are handling that.

James Britt

Chris Pine

I think there's still a little too much opposition, so I won't do it.
Instead, as was suggested, I have contacted various sites I think
nubys might visit, and checked to make sure they have links to the
tutorial. I'm sure this is sufficient.

I'm not sure it will have tha same personal feel, but it also won't
clutter up the mailing list for the great community we have here.
Thanks to everyone who weighed in!

Cheers,

Chris