    written as a subscript but in practice usually not) used in a program,
    alone or with others, to specify one of the elements of an array"
    Is this indeed how arrays were written?

    mdh, Sep 14, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    mdh <> wrote:

    >Does anyone know the origin of the use of subscript in the language?
    >The oxford dictionary defines it "Computing a symbol (notionally
    >written as a subscript but in practice usually not) used in a program,
    >alone or with others, to specify one of the elements of an array"
    >Is this indeed how arrays were written?

    It just corresponds to the usual mathematical notation of using
    subscripted variables. They're inconvenient to type on computers (and
    were more inconvenient in the past) so bracket notations are used
    instead.

    -- Richard

    in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.

    Richard Tobin, Sep 14, 2007

  3. mdh said:

    > Does anyone know the origin of the use of subscript in the language?
    > The oxford dictionary defines it "Computing a symbol (notionally
    > written as a subscript but in practice usually not) used in a program,
    > alone or with others, to specify one of the elements of an array"
    > Is this indeed how arrays were written?

    Here is an excerpt from what is probably John von Neumann's first
    computer program:

    http://www.cpax.org.uk/scratch/vnp1.png

    I've circled the most obviously relevant bits in red.

    Email: -www. +rjh@

    Richard Heathfield, Sep 14, 2007
  4. mdh

    mdh Guest

    On Sep 14, 9:01 am, (Richard Tobin) wrote:

    > It just corresponds to the usual mathematical notation of using
    > subscripted variables. They're inconvenient to type on computers (and
    > were more inconvenient in the past) so bracket notations are used
    > instead.

    Thanks

    mdh, Sep 14, 2007
  5. mdh

    mdh Guest

    On Sep 14, 9:38 am, Richard Heathfield <> wrote:

    > Here is an excerpt from what is probably John von Neumann's first
    > computer program:
    >
    > http://www.cpax.org.uk/scratch/vnp1.png
    >
    > I've circled the most obviously relevant bits in red.

    Thank you Richard...

    mdh, Sep 14, 2007
  6. In article <>,
    Richard Heathfield <> wrote:

    >Here is an excerpt from what is probably John von Neumann's first
    >computer program:
    >
    > http://www.cpax.org.uk/scratch/vnp1.png

    I see that unreadable code is nothing new.

    -- Richard
    in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.

    Richard Tobin, Sep 14, 2007