[ETYMOLOGY] - Sterile Classes / Sterile Meta Classes

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Hi,

In message "Re: [ETYMOLOGY] - Sterile Classes / Sterile Meta Classes"

|If we use such an adjective, I would favor something like:
|
| - unique
| - individual
| - solitary

Others proposed (forgive me for not mentioning your names, pals):

- singular
- solo
- particular
- self
- ideoclass
- uniclass
- instance
- custom
- tailored
- lone
- distinct
- specific
- customized
- changed
- expanded
- crafted
- decorated
- tailored
- adapted
- adjusted
- transformed
- modified

I think a few of them pass the test. For example, I like the word
"specific", but the term "specific class" seems to have different
implication in the English language. The "instance class" may cause
confusion with the term "instance method".

So if I choose from above, candidates would be:

- individual class / individual method (sounds nice; I don't think
of any confusion by the term; not sure how English speakers feel,
but I think I can trust Hal)
- uniclass (totally new term for new idea)
- singleton class / singleton method (yes, I still believe in
context ;-)

Thank you for participating. We are still open.

matz.

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Hi,

In message "Re: [ETYMOLOGY] - Sterile Classes / Sterile Meta Classes"

|Can I have some more informatin about the new model?
|
| a) method to retrieve "singleton class", Object#singleton_class
|
|further planned changes?

No other language change is planned. I guess I have to rewrite some
documents as well.

|> In this standard, "singleton" is the best I can think of, unless name
|> conflict. Sad coincidence.
|
|I understand your 'pain' - honestly!

Thank you. Making up terms are far more difficult than others think
at their first glance.

matz.

David A. Black

Hi --

Hi,

In message "Re: [ETYMOLOGY] - Sterile Classes / Sterile Meta Classes"

|If we use such an adjective, I would favor something like:
|
| - unique
| - individual
| - solitary

Others proposed (forgive me for not mentioning your names, pals):

But can I forgive you for not mentioning my idea? :) It was "own
class". I guess it's not still on the radar? I don't really care,
though it did have some positive reactions.

David

Bill Atkins

Perhaps reflexive class?

reflexive adj. directed back to itself

Hi,

In message "Re: [ETYMOLOGY] - Sterile Classes / Sterile Meta Classes"

|If we use such an adjective, I would favor something like:
|
| - unique
| - individual
| - solitary

Others proposed (forgive me for not mentioning your names, pals):

- singular
- solo
- particular
- self
- ideoclass
- uniclass
- instance
- custom
- tailored
- lone
- distinct
- specific
- customized
- changed
- expanded
- crafted
- decorated
- tailored
- adapted
- adjusted
- transformed
- modified

I think a few of them pass the test. For example, I like the word
"specific", but the term "specific class" seems to have different
implication in the English language. The "instance class" may cause
confusion with the term "instance method".

So if I choose from above, candidates would be:

- individual class / individual method (sounds nice; I don't think
of any confusion by the term; not sure how English speakers feel,
but I think I can trust Hal)
- uniclass (totally new term for new idea)
- singleton class / singleton method (yes, I still believe in
context ;-)

Thank you for participating. We are still open.

matz.

Bill Guindon

Mind you, when Ilias is active in a thread, I generally delete it
without a second look. So, I honestly don't expect many people to see
this, but since Matz is still looking for meaningful terminology...

I humbly suggest "uniclass". Sounds sort of like "eunuch-class",
implying sterility, and also like "unique-class", which follows because
there is at most one of these per object. It also reminds me of
"Unibrow" from the Austin Powers series, but that is neither here nor there.

+1

'unique' and 'custom' were my favorites, but I like the idea of a new
word, and the mnemonics you offered.

Ilias Lazaridis

Yukihiro said:
Hi,

In message "Re: [ETYMOLOGY] - Sterile Classes / Sterile Meta Classes"

|Can I have some more informatin about the new model?
|
| a) method to retrieve "singleton class", Object#singleton_class
|
|further planned changes?

No other language change is planned. I guess I have to rewrite some
documents as well.

you wrote in the other thread:

"I'm thinking of changing thedefinition to confirm model in others'
mind, since the other model. Under the new model, horizontal arrows in
the object.c diagram mean instance-of relations."

This would be important to know - and it's important for the terminology.

If you are not sure yet - no problem.

[If the thread continues thus clean and productive, I'll have in
estimated 3 to 5 days the ability to give more concrete feedback
regarding the model]
|> In this standard, "singleton" is the best I can think of, unless name
|> conflict. Sad coincidence.
|
|I understand your 'pain' - honestly!

Thank you. Making up terms are far more difficult than others think
at their first glance.

Yes, I agree.

It's as difficult as it's important.

-

btw: I operate myself with my own terminology during the creation phase:

"
* The terminology is not yet aligned to commonly used business or
standards organisation terminology [like e.g. ISO].
* This will happen after the process definition has finalized.
"
http://lazaridis.com/efficiency/definitions.html

..

speechexpert

Dear group,
I am looking for a way to customize emacs for Ruby - I have not been able to
get syntax high-lighting working, but irb and xmp are working.
Any info on this?
I have been watching discussion of editors "dog fight:"
1. jump into ring and throw dirt on other editors.
2. Engage in snarling dog fight about favorite editors
3. foam at mouth and whirl around in a circle
4. collapse in exhausted heap
;D
Any info on customizing emacs or other editors sought...
John B

Ilias Lazaridis

Mr. Matsumoto wrote within this thread:
In the new model, it would not be hidden any more, and perhaps, there
will be a method to retrieve "singleton class" from an object. I hope
the method name would not be Object#singleton_class.

I'd like to emphasize the "per-object" attribute of the object.
Ideally, the term should be "xxxx class" where

* xxxx describe the class is per-object.
* xxxx is an adjective, or a noun that can be used like adjective.
* we can call methods now we call "singleton methods" as xxxx
methods for consistency.

this results in the following template, where you can insert the
suggested word:

-

instructions:

* <x> emphasize on the "per-object" characteristic of the object
* <x> describes that the class is per-object
* <x> is an adjective, or a noun that can be used like an adjective.
* "<x> methods" replaces todays term "singleton methods"

Test Code:

obj.<x>_class
obj.<x>_methods
obj.<x>_attributes

-

Usage of the template simplifies the evaluation of the new <x> term.

..

kyu

speechexpert said:
Dear group,
I am looking for a way to customize emacs for Ruby - I have not been able to
get syntax high-lighting working, but irb and xmp are working.
Any info on this?
I have been watching discussion of editors "dog fight:"
1. jump into ring and throw dirt on other editors.
2. Engage in snarling dog fight about favorite editors
3. foam at mouth and whirl around in a circle
4. collapse in exhausted heap
;D
Any info on customizing emacs or other editors sought...
John B
Are you using GNU emacs? Try www.xemacs.org, install that and then untar
xemacs-sumo-xx.gz into /usr/local/lib/xemacs/ and add (load "font
lock") to your .emacs. Works real nice for me :) Also, if you do this
make sure to check out eshell and M-x ecb-activate for an even better
de. Hope this helps a bit. But it probabally won't. :/

-kyu

Ryan Leavengood

Dr said:
So as per 2nd definition above, how is about...

'abstract class'
'abstract objects'
'abstract methods'

Hope that helps.

I think that has a greater chance of confusion than the current
"singleton class" naming. Abstract class in the larger sense of OO
programming is very much unlike the Ruby constructs we are discussing.

Ryan

Bill Atkins

Make sure you're using ruby-mode and font-lock-mode. Also make sure
you've set values for the faces. For instance, put this in your
emacs file:

(custom-set-faces
'(default
((t :)family "arial" :size 10 :foreground "white" :background "black"))) t)
'(font-lock-string-face ((t :)foreground "green" :bold t))))
'(font-lock-variable-name-face ((t :)foreground "magenta" :bold t))))
'(font-lock-keyword-face ((t :)foreground "red" :bold t))))
'(font-lock-type-face ((t :)foreground "CadetBlue" :bold t))))
'(font-lock-comment-face
((t :)background "darkgreen" :foreground "white" :size "6"))))
'(font-lock-function-name-face ((t :)foreground "orange" :bold t)))))

Hope that helps.

Ilias Lazaridis

Yukihiro said:
Hi,

In message "Re: [ETYMOLOGY] - Sterile Classes / Sterile Meta Classes"

|If we use such an adjective, I would favor something like:
|
| - unique
| - individual
| - solitary

Others proposed (forgive me for not mentioning your names, pals):

Can someone possibly create a page with the entries below and the
template on the central ruby-wiki?

"

-

"

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Hi,

In message "Re: [ETYMOLOGY] - Sterile Classes / Sterile Meta Classes"

|> Others proposed (forgive me for not mentioning your names, pals):
|
|But can I forgive you for not mentioning my idea? :)

Oops.

|It was "own
|class". I guess it's not still on the radar? I don't really care,
|though it did have some positive reactions.

Somehow I missed that. Sorry.
I think I have to set up a Wiki page.

matz.

Austin Ziegler

I think that has a greater chance of confusion than the current
"singleton class" naming. Abstract class in the larger sense of OO
programming is very much unlike the Ruby constructs we are discussing.

And, the singleton class of an object is anything but abstract -- it
is an inherent part of the object's existence.

-austin

Logan Capaldo

Hi,

In message "Re: [ETYMOLOGY] - Sterile Classes / Sterile Meta Classes"

|If we use such an adjective, I would favor something like:
|
| - unique
| - individual
| - solitary

Others proposed (forgive me for not mentioning your names, pals):

- singular
- solo
- particular
- self
- ideoclass
- uniclass
- instance
- custom
- tailored
- lone
- distinct
- specific
- customized
- changed
- expanded
- crafted
- decorated
- tailored
- adapted
- adjusted
- transformed
- modified

I think a few of them pass the test. For example, I like the word
"specific", but the term "specific class" seems to have different
implication in the English language. The "instance class" may cause
confusion with the term "instance method".

So if I choose from above, candidates would be:

- individual class / individual method (sounds nice; I don't think
of any confusion by the term; not sure how English speakers feel,
but I think I can trust Hal)
- uniclass (totally new term for new idea)
- singleton class / singleton method (yes, I still believe in
context ;-)

Thank you for participating. We are still open.

matz.

Just to throw in another one, perhaps "personal class"?

craig duncan

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

Thank you for participating. We are still open.

matz.

Ok... here's my last play, then i'm out. How about instance_attrs?

craig

Ilias Lazaridis

must write this down, could be a key:

this method is privat - to the object
this method is inherited - from the superclass
this method is exclusive - to the object

this method is singleton - [...]

-

time to sleep.

-

Thank you very much for the productive feedback.

..

Jon A. Lambert

Yukihiro said:
- singular
- solo
- particular
- self
- ideoclass
- uniclass
- instance
- custom
- tailored
- lone
- distinct
- specific
- customized
- changed
- expanded
- crafted
- decorated
- tailored
- adapted
- adjusted
- transformed
- modified

mataclass - sounds meta and but eponymously named.

Terminology derived from tired old words is boring.

Hal Fulton

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

[snip]
I think a few of them pass the test. For example, I like the word
"specific", but the term "specific class" seems to have different
implication in the English language. The "instance class" may cause
confusion with the term "instance method".

So if I choose from above, candidates would be:

- individual class / individual method (sounds nice; I don't think
of any confusion by the term; not sure how English speakers feel,
but I think I can trust Hal)
- uniclass (totally new term for new idea)
- singleton class / singleton method (yes, I still believe in
context ;-)

Thank you for participating. We are still open.

I did not realize the list was so long.

Some of these I might like better than any of my own.

The problem with many/most of these is that they have common
English meanings and may not be recognized as jargon.

That is the case with "specific" and is likely the case with
"individual" too -- except that in English we rarely use
five syllables, except as jargon, when we can help it.

If you don't understand the distinction I am making between
"technical" usage and "normal" usage, consider the word
"regular" -- in normal usage it can mean "ordinary" but in
math or geometry it has a more specific meaning.

So in that sense, "individual" might still be a bad choice.
Matter of opinion.

It reminds me of the old days when BASIC was a common first
language. Sometimes a person would say, "I want to take a
basic programming class," and the other person would hear,
"I want to take a BASIC programming class" (or vice versa).

Hal