[ETYMOLOGY] - Sterile Classes / Sterile Meta Classes

Martin DeMello

Yukihiro Matsumoto said:
- uniclass (totally new term for new idea)

I like the idea of using a single, invented word rather than a two word
phrase, since we avoid overloaded associations from other languages and
contexts. Thus far:

uniclass
idioclass
eigenclass

martin

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Hi,

In message "Re: [ETYMOLOGY] - Sterile Classes / Sterile Meta Classes"

|I think I have to set up a Wiki page.

I was lost in finding proper place in RubyGarden Wiki. Sigh.
Can someone create a new page there please?

matz.

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Hi,

In message "Re: [ETYMOLOGY] - Sterile Classes / Sterile Meta Classes"

|you wrote in the other thread:

|"I'm thinking of changing thedefinition to confirm model in others'
|mind, since the other model. Under the new model, horizontal arrows in
|the object.c diagram mean instance-of relations."
|
|This would be important to know - and it's important for the terminology.
|
|If you are not sure yet - no problem.

I am almost sure. The model will be changed, after we settled "the
term".

matz.

Lyndon Samson

I am almost sure. The model will be changed, after we settled "the
term".
For the pot :)

shadowclass
siblingclass
templateclass
localisedclass
objectcustomiser
singularity

or use a non-english word to define a new label for the concept

ie

satori :)

Singleton has plenty of alternate meaning unfortunately, especially
outside of the ruby world.

George

Martin said:
I like the idea of using a single, invented word rather than a two word
phrase, since we avoid overloaded associations from other languages and
contexts. Thus far:

uniclass
idioclass
eigenclass

It might be my maths-y background, but I'm a big fan of eigenclass. I'm
not too sure about the meaning of the German ('own',
'characteristic'??), but for those who know a bit of abstract algebra -
eigenvalues, eigenvectors etc - it conjures up some handy images. So I
think it's a winner for a) mathematicians and b) German speakers. Who
could that possibly leave out? ;-)

-- George

[On the other hand, if you don't fall into either of those two camps,
it probably just makes you say 'eh? what the hell is that?'.]

Matt Mower

It might be my maths-y background, but I'm a big fan of eigenclass. I'm
not too sure about the meaning of the German ('own',
'characteristic'??), but for those who know a bit of abstract algebra -
eigenvalues, eigenvectors etc - it conjures up some handy images. So I
think it's a winner for a) mathematicians and b) German speakers. Who
could that possibly leave out? ;-)

-- George

[On the other hand, if you don't fall into either of those two camps,
it probably just makes you say 'eh? what the hell is that?'.]

This, in itself, might be no bad thing if it motivated you to discover more!

(Ok, I confess, I rather liked eigenclass too <g>)

Hal Fulton

George said:
It might be my maths-y background, but I'm a big fan of eigenclass. I'm
not too sure about the meaning of the German ('own',
'characteristic'??), but for those who know a bit of abstract algebra -
eigenvalues, eigenvectors etc - it conjures up some handy images. So I
think it's a winner for a) mathematicians and b) German speakers. Who
could that possibly leave out? ;-)

Truthfully, I'm a fan of it, too, from my physics background rather
than math.

But I don't necessarily recommend it. I don't mind importing terms
from math/physics/German, but the "immediate recognizability" will
be almost, well, nil. :)

On the other hand, that might be a *good* thing, for a term that
is very rare, perhaps unique to Ruby.
[On the other hand, if you don't fall into either of those two camps,
it probably just makes you say 'eh? what the hell is that?'.]

Agreed.

Hal

Steven Jenkins

George said:
It might be my maths-y background, but I'm a big fan of eigenclass. I'm
not too sure about the meaning of the German ('own',
'characteristic'??), but for those who know a bit of abstract algebra -
eigenvalues, eigenvectors etc - it conjures up some handy images. So I
think it's a winner for a) mathematicians and b) German speakers. Who
could that possibly leave out? ;-)

French people. I mean, they think well don't they? I mean, be fair - Pascal.

I like 'eigenclass' too, but I don't really recommend it. It sounds like
showing off.

Has anyone suggested 'essential class'? The word 'essential' is often
used to mean 'indispensible', but 'constituting or being part of the
essence of something; inherent' seems like precisely what we're getting
at here.

Steve

ES

Gavin said:
OK, I'm done throwing content into that page. Those still interested in
this discussion, would you please summarize your 'yay' and 'nay' votes
as bullet points at the bottom of the page?

I tossed in one additional suggestion, #mu.

People who learn ruby will need to learn the concept of these classes
anyway and there is really no sense in trying to cram all of that info
into *one word* in a vain attempt to make it immediately understandable
to people with no background. So just teach them a new word; that will
make it easier to discuss within the group and will reduce confusion
outside of it. My primary votes will go to the 'nonsense' words.

That, and I like the connotations of 'mu' plus it is fun to say!

mu mu muuuuu mu muuu mu

Austin Ziegler

People who learn ruby will need to learn the concept of these classes
anyway and there is really no sense in trying to cram all of that info
into *one word* in a vain attempt to make it immediately understandable
to people with no background. So just teach them a new word; that will
make it easier to discuss within the group and will reduce confusion
outside of it. My primary votes will go to the 'nonsense' words.

That, and I like the connotations of 'mu' plus it is fun to say!

mu mu muuuuu mu muuu mu

...which leads to #muumuu -- the sort of thing you only wear around the house ;)

-austin

David A. Black

Hi --

French people. I mean, they think well don't they? I mean, be fair - Pascal.

I like 'eigenclass' too, but I don't really recommend it. It sounds like
showing off.

Has anyone suggested 'essential class'? The word 'essential' is often
used to mean 'indispensible', but 'constituting or being part of the
essence of something; inherent' seems like precisely what we're getting
at here.

Actually the singleton class embodies more the non-inherent -- i.e.,
the acquired -- properties of a class. I don't think one can acquire
one's essence; one just has it. And "essence" also, to me, suggests
something permanent and unchanging in the midst, perhaps, of
superficial change. That too is not a good fit for the dynamic,
in-the-moment singleton behavior of Ruby objects.

David

Steven Jenkins

David said:
Actually the singleton class embodies more the non-inherent -- i.e.,
the acquired -- properties of a class. I don't think one can acquire
one's essence; one just has it. And "essence" also, to me, suggests
something permanent and unchanging in the midst, perhaps, of
superficial change. That too is not a good fit for the dynamic,
in-the-moment singleton behavior of Ruby objects.

Well, sure, but no word means precisely that. As in all jargon, we need
a word that's suggestive without being misleading. The real meaning
doesn't come from the word itself; we're just trying to attach a
convenient handle to a pre-existing meaning.

Steve

Aredridel

unique, lone, solo, distinct, specific, custom, customized, changed,
expanded, crafted, decorated, tailored, adapted, adjusted,
transformed, modified.

any of these come close?

"Eigenclass" was suggested on IRC. I like that.

karlin.fox

I think 'idioclass' is the best suggestion so far. 'eigenclass' is too
formal-sounding and will only confuse those who already use the prefix
for it's meaning in mathematics. Idioclass follows Matz's decree of
describing it as per-object, while still providing an intuitive
description of the concept in a single, unique word.

Christoph

I think 'idioclass' is the best suggestion so far. 'eigenclass' is too
formal-sounding and will only confuse those who already use the prefix
for it's meaning in mathematics. Idioclass follows Matz's decree of
Whats wrong with formal sounding names? - besides, idioclass
sound pretty formal too. Also, there is about a snowball chance
in hell that anyone with a formal education in math might become
confused by the usage of "eigen class/method", infact the term
is fairly descriptive if you know math and/or German.

/Christoph

Randy Kramer

I think 'idioclass' is the best suggestion so far. 'eigenclass' is too
formal-sounding and will only confuse those who already use the prefix
for it's meaning in mathematics. Idioclass follows Matz's decree of
describing it as per-object, while still providing an intuitive
description of the concept in a single, unique word.

I don't really know what I'm talking about (I'm a newbie) but why not call it
the "self class"? (IIUC, it is the (self) class of an object, for the
purpose of allowing the addition of methods to an object. And that is
(almost) what eigen means, isn't it?)

Randy Kramer