[ETYMOLOGY] - Sterile Classes / Sterile Meta Classes

Ilias Lazaridis

Yukihiro said:
Hi,

In message "Re: [ETYMOLOGY] - Sterile Classes / Sterile Meta Classes"

|you wrote in the other thread:

|"I'm thinking of changing thedefinition to confirm model in others'
|mind, since the other model. Under the new model, horizontal arrows in
|the object.c diagram mean instance-of relations."
|
|This would be important to know - and it's important for the terminology.
|
|If you are not sure yet - no problem.

I am almost sure. The model will be changed, after we settled "the
term".

There's a dead-lock:

You cannot settle on a (concise) term, when you don't know the
model-changes.

Ok, I extract the (almost sure) planned changes:

a) method to retrieve "<x> class", Object#<x>_class
b) objects become instances of their "<x> class"
(horizontal arrows in "ri Class": "instance-of" relations")

<x> currently: singelton

-

cmd> ri class

+------------------+
| |
Object---->(Object) |
^ ^ ^ ^ |
| | | | |
| | +-----+ +---------+ |
| | | | |
| +-----------+ | |
| | | | |
+------+ | Module--->(Module) |
| | ^ ^ |
OtherClass-->(OtherClass) | | |
| | |
Class---->(Class) |
^ |
| |
+----------------+
..

Ilias Lazaridis

can you please place a link to this thread (ruby-talk archives)?
OK, I'm done throwing content into that page. Those still interested in
this discussion, would you please summarize your 'yay' and 'nay' votes
as bullet points at the bottom of the page?

please note:

The new term will not selected by democracy (vote).

It results out of research, reasoning and rationality.

..

Ilias Lazaridis

Ilias said:
Yukihiro said:
Hi,

In message "Re: [ETYMOLOGY] - Sterile Classes / Sterile Meta Classes"
on Mon, 9 May 2005 05:18:05 +0900, Hal Fulton

|If we use such an adjective, I would favor something like:
|
| - unique
| - individual
| - solitary

Others proposed (forgive me for not mentioning your names, pals):

Can someone possibly create a page with the entries below and the
template on the central ruby-wiki?
http://rubygarden.org/ruby?RenamingSingletonClass

"
instructions:

* <x> emphasize on the "per-object" characteristic of the object
* <x> describes that the class is per-object
* <x> is an adjective, or a noun that can be used like an adjective.
* "<x> methods" replaces todays term "singleton methods"

Test Code:

obj.<x>_class
obj.<x>_methods
obj.<x>_attributes

-

Usage of the template simplifies the evaluation of the new <x> term.

.
"

- singular
- solo
- particular
- self
- ideoclass
- uniclass
- instance
- custom
- tailored
- lone
- distinct
- specific
- customized
- changed
- expanded
- crafted
- decorated
- tailored
- adapted
- adjusted
- transformed
- modified
[...]

..

Dave Brown

ES said:
I tossed in one additional suggestion, #mu.

No.

Wait no, that's not an Ilias-like monosyllabic answer. It's the
actual meaning of "mu" in, well, Japanese (and Chinese). Using a
nonsense word is a good suggestion, except that your suggested
word is unfortunately not nonsense. :) For example, "mu-sen" is
the Japanese word for "wireless"--literally, "no lines".

Saying "the no-class" is even more confusing than "the singleton
class", in my opinion.

--Dave

Ilias Lazaridis

http://lazaridis.com/case/lang/ruby/xclass.html

suggested terms:

exclusive
extension
proto
prototype
x [unknown, can be internally spoken as <anything>]

-

http://rubygarden.org/ruby?RenamingSingletonClass

suggested terms:

# adapted
# adjunct
# adjusted
# adjutant
# annex
# changed
# class object
# crafted
# custom
# customized
# decorated
# distinct
# ego
# eigenclass
# essential
# expanded
# idioclass
# individual
# instance
# localised
# lone
# modified
# objectcustomiser
# own
# particular
# pouch
# reflexive
# satori
# self
# shadow
# shallow
# sibling
# singular
# singularity
# solitary
# solo
# specific
# tailored
# template
# transformed
# uncle
# uniclass
# unique
# mu

-

I 'close' this thread at this point.

I need some further day's to get more clarity.

..

David A. Black

Hi --

#pouch keeps growing on me. go pouch!

I know this is a name brainstorming thing, not an implementation
thing, but I still wonder: what exactly would an object's "pouch" be?
A class or module? Or some new, third thing? Would there be a Pouch
class? How would one add methods and/or constants to the pouch?

pouch << obj

or

obj.pouch.pouch_eval { }

? :)

(Of course methods can be add with def obj.meth, but that doesn't
provide the complete class-scope functionality.)

Actually this isn't so much an implementation thing as an explanation
thing: how would one explain how to do this, and how far would one
have to travel away from Ruby's class/module design to do so?

David