EuroPython 2011: call for paper is ending - Please spread the word!

Discussion in 'Python' started by Palla, Mar 31, 2011.

  1. Palla

    Palla Guest

    Hi all members,
    I'm Francesco and I am writing on behalf of "Python Italia APS", a no-
    profit association promoting EuroPython conference.
    (www.europython.eu)

    Europython end of Call for Presentations is April 6th. I'd like to ask
    to you to forward this mail to anyone that you feel may be interested.

    We're looking for proposals on every aspects of Python: programming
    from novice to advanced levels, applications and frameworks, or how
    you have been involved in introducing Python into your organisation.

    **First-time speakers are especially welcome**; EuroPython is a
    community conference and we are eager to hear about your experience.
    If you have friends or colleagues who have something valuable to
    contribute, twist their arms to tell us about it!

    Presenting at EuroPython
    ------------------------
    We will accept a broad range of presentations, from reports on
    academic and commercial projects to tutorials and case studies. As
    long as the presentation is interesting and potentially useful to the
    Python community, it will be considered for inclusion in the
    programme.

    Can you show the conference-goers something new and useful? Can you
    show attendees how to: use a module? Explore a Python language
    feature? Package an application? If so, consider submitting a talk.

    Talks and hands-on trainings
    ----------------------------
    There are two different kind of presentations that you can give as a
    speaker at EuroPython:

    * **Regular talk**. These are standard "talk with slides", allocated
    in slots of 45, 60 or 90 minutes, depending on your preference and
    scheduling constraints. A Q&A session is held at the end of the talk.
    * **Hands-on training**. These are advanced training sessions for a
    smaller audience (10-20 people), to dive into the subject with all
    details. These sessions are 4-hours long, and audience will be
    strongly encouraged to bring a laptop to experiment. They should be
    prepared with less slides and more source code. If possible, trainers
    will also give a short "teaser talk" of 30 minutes the day before the
    training, to tease delegates into attending the training.

    In the talk submission form, we assume that you intend to give a
    regular talk on the subject, but you will be asked if you are
    available for also doing a hands-on training on the very same subject.

    Speakers that will give a hands-on training are rewarded with a **free
    entrance** to EuroPython to compensate for the longer preparation
    required, and might also be eligible for a speaking fee (which we
    cannot confirm at the moment).

    Topics and goals
    ----------------
    Specific topics for EuroPython presentations include, but are not
    limited to:

    - Core Python
    - Other implementations: Jython, IronPython, PyPy, and Stackless
    - Python libraries and extensions
    - Python 3.x migration
    - Databases
    - Documentation
    - GUI Programming
    - Game Programming
    - Network Programming
    - Open Source Python projects
    - Packaging Issues
    - Programming Tools
    - Project Best Practices
    - Embedding and Extending
    - Science and Math
    - Web-based Systems

    Presentation goals usually are some of the following:

    - Introduce audience to a new topic they are unaware of
    - Introduce audience to new developments on a well-known topic
    - Show audience real-world usage scenarios for a specific topic (case
    study)
    - Dig into advanced and relatively-unknown details on a topic
    - Compare different options in the market on a topic

    Community-based talk voting
    ---------------------------
    This year, for the first time in EuroPython history, the talk voting
    process is fully public. Every partecipant gains the right to vote for
    talks submitted during the Call For Papers, as soon as they commit to
    their presence at the conference by buying a ticket. See all the
    details in the talk voting[1] page.

    Contacts
    --------
    For any further question, feel free to contact the organizers at
    . Thank you!

    [1]: http://ep2011.europython.eu/talk-voting

    Palla, Mar 31, 2011