europython room share

andrewdalke

Is anyone here going to Europython and would like a roommate
to help split the cost? I'll be there for all three days of the
conference plus a few extra days for sprints. I figure I can move
elsewhere if need be for the sprints.

It looks like the best choices are St. Genis (because it is about 20
minutes walk away) or Geneva (30 minutes by frequent bus, with
more to do and places to eat).

I did some research looking for places to stay. My biggest problem
was my inability to read French, though most of the hotels on
the CERN page at
http://housing-service.web.cern.ch/housing-service/listhotel.html
also have alternate pages in English.

My second biggest is not knowing the geography. The Europython "Places
to stay" page at http://www.europython.org/sections/accommodation
says

Nearby places (useful when consulting the hotels with
special rates) include Meyrin, Satigny (in Switzerland)
and St. Genis-Pouilly (in France).

Figuring a lot of students have worked at CERN and written
up their experiences, I found one with this comment in
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/swap/reureviews/cern.html

CERN is about 30 minutes by bus from Geneva and a 20 minute
walk or bike ride from entertainment in St. Genis, France. Summer
students hung out most Tuesdays at a pub in St. Genis.

The Europython wiki says the bus to Geneva "leaves four times an
hour during most of a weekday."

I don't know if most people will meet up for dinner and drinks
somewhere close by CERN or in Geneva, making it harder to
figure out where to stay. I'm thinking nearby.. at least those
staying in the CERN hostel.

Andrew
(e-mail address removed)