europython room share

Discussion in 'Python' started by andrewdalke@gmail.com, Jun 20, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Is anyone here going to Europython and would like a roommate
    to help split the cost? I'll be there for all three days of the
    conference plus a few extra days for sprints. I figure I can move
    elsewhere if need be for the sprints.

    It looks like the best choices are St. Genis (because it is about 20
    minutes walk away) or Geneva (30 minutes by frequent bus, with
    more to do and places to eat).

    I did some research looking for places to stay. My biggest problem
    was my inability to read French, though most of the hotels on
    the CERN page at
    http://housing-service.web.cern.ch/housing-service/listhotel.html
    also have alternate pages in English.

    My second biggest is not knowing the geography. The Europython "Places
    to stay" page at http://www.europython.org/sections/accommodation
    says

    Nearby places (useful when consulting the hotels with
    special rates) include Meyrin, Satigny (in Switzerland)
    and St. Genis-Pouilly (in France).

    Figuring a lot of students have worked at CERN and written
    up their experiences, I found one with this comment in
    http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/swap/reureviews/cern.html

    CERN is about 30 minutes by bus from Geneva and a 20 minute
    walk or bike ride from entertainment in St. Genis, France. Summer
    students hung out most Tuesdays at a pub in St. Genis.

    The Europython wiki says the bus to Geneva "leaves four times an
    hour during most of a weekday."

    I don't know if most people will meet up for dinner and drinks
    somewhere close by CERN or in Geneva, making it harder to
    figure out where to stay. I'm thinking nearby.. at least those
    staying in the CERN hostel.

    Andrew
    , Jun 20, 2006