Europython schedule vs. accomodation/registration deadlines - HUH?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Wolfgang Keller, May 2, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    today I've read the following on the Europython WWW site:

    http://www.europython.org/sections/registration_issues/registration_info
    rma

    "Early bird payment ends 15 May."
    "Last day for reserving accomodations is 15 May."

    http://www.europython.org/sections/tracks_and_talks/schedule_day_1

    "The schedule will be posted in early June."

    Are the people who are organising this aware of to what point this is -
    sorry - plain nonsense?

    The attendees are supposed to register and reserve accomodation before
    even being able to know when/whether it will be worth attending for
    them?

    This isn't serious, is it?

    I'm sorry, but I've never encountered this with any kind of
    conference...

    Best regards

    Wolfgang Keller

    Wolfgang Keller, May 2, 2005

  2. Wolfgang Keller

    Steve Holden Guest

    Wolfgang Keller wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > today I've read the following on the Europython WWW site:
    >
    > http://www.europython.org/sections/registration_issues/registration_info
    > rma
    >
    > "Early bird payment ends 15 May."
    > "Last day for reserving accomodations is 15 May."
    >
    > http://www.europython.org/sections/tracks_and_talks/schedule_day_1
    >
    > "The schedule will be posted in early June."
    >
    > Are the people who are organising this aware of to what point this is -
    > sorry - plain nonsense?
    >
    > The attendees are supposed to register and reserve accomodation before
    > even being able to know when/whether it will be worth attending for
    > them?
    >
    > This isn't serious, is it?
    >
    > I'm sorry, but I've never encountered this with any kind of
    > conference...

    Well in that case you clearly never became aware of PyCon 2004, where we
    made exactly the same kind of planning mistake. Sometimes when
    conferences are organized by volunteers this kind of thing slips by the
    sanity checkers until a potential delegate points it out.

    regards
    Steve

    PS we made sure to avoid this problem in 2005, though the Conference
    Committee had to work very hard to do so.
    --
    Steve Holden +1 703 861 4237 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, May 3, 2005