    people to make the best decision?

    I know marketing matters but ...

    EuGeNe -- http://www.3kwa.com

    EuGeNe Van den Bulke, Apr 26, 2007

  2. EuGeNe Van den Bulke

    Steve Holden Guest

    EuGeNe Van den Bulke wrote:
    > I do realize that the UK is not really part of Europe (no polemic :p)
    > but I am nevertheless curious about the logic behind creating another
    > major Python event in Europe. Wasn't EuroPython enough?
    >
    > Like many I am sure, I probably won't be able to attend both (and I
    > really enjoyed the Geneva experience so definitely want to renew "it").
    > How would you go about selecting which conference to attend?
    >
    > They are only 2 months apart, 6 would have been easier for the
    > attendees! Could the organizers liaise one way or another to make
    > Pythoneers life as easy and fun as the language and give as much
    > information out as possible as early as possible (early bird early) for
    > people to make the best decision?
    >
    > I know marketing matters but ...
    >
    > EuGeNe -- http://www.3kwa.com

    So by this reasoning there should have been no "Python UK" conference
    for the last four years (in case you didn't know it ran as a track of
    the C/C++ conference, but ths track has now broadened to include all
    scripting languages). And what about the people who can't get the time
    and/or money to attend EuroPython?

    Diversity is good, so it isn't one vs. the other. And the UK really *is*
    part of Europe (no matter how its politicians behave) :p

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    Recent Ramblings http://holdenweb.blogspot.com

    Steve Holden, Apr 26, 2007

  3. EuGeNe Van den Bulke

    Steve Holden Guest

    Steve Holden wrote:
    > EuGeNe Van den Bulke wrote:

    [...]
    > Diversity is good, so it isn't one vs. the other. And the UK really *is*
    > part of Europe (no matter how its politicians behave) :p
    >
    > regards
    > Steve

    PS: Have you seen the new "[PyCon Uno Italy] Call For Papers" post? I
    hope you are going to rap their knuckles too :p ;-)

    regards
    Steve

    Steve Holden, Apr 26, 2007
  4. EuGeNe Van den Bulke

    Fuzzyman Guest

    On Apr 26, 5:34 pm, EuGeNe Van den Bulke
    <> wrote:
    > I do realize that the UK is not really part of Europe (no polemic :p)
    > but I am nevertheless curious about the logic behind creating another
    > major Python event in Europe. Wasn't EuroPython enough?
    >
    > Like many I am sure, I probably won't be able to attend both (and I
    > really enjoyed the Geneva experience so definitely want to renew "it").
    > How would you go about selecting which conference to attend?

    I assume you have the same problem with the Italian one?

    Seriously though, it is *great* to see the UK Python scene flourishing
    (and the Italian one). The more events that happen the better, and I
    don't think they need be in competition with each other... I *hope*
    the Europython guys don't see it like that.

    Fuzzyman
    http://www.voidspace.org.uk/ironpython/index.shtml

    Fuzzyman, Apr 26, 2007
  5. EuGeNe Van den Bulke wrote:
    > I do realize that the UK is not really part of Europe (no polemic :p)
    > but I am nevertheless curious about the logic behind creating another
    > major Python event in Europe. Wasn't EuroPython enough?
    >
    > Like many I am sure, I probably won't be able to attend both (and I
    > really enjoyed the Geneva experience so definitely want to renew "it").
    > How would you go about selecting which conference to attend?
    >
    > They are only 2 months apart, 6 would have been easier for the
    > attendees! Could the organizers liaise one way or another to make
    > Pythoneers life as easy and fun as the language and give as much
    > information out as possible as early as possible (early bird early) for
    > people to make the best decision?
    >
    > I know marketing matters but ...
    >
    > EuGeNe -- http://www.3kwa.com

    Growth!

    Donald 'Paddy' McCarthy, Apr 26, 2007
  6. Steve Holden wrote:
    > So by this reasoning there should have been no "Python UK" conference
    > for the last four years (in case you didn't know it ran as a track of
    > the C/C++ conference, but ths track has now broadened to include all
    > scripting languages). And what about the people who can't get the time
    > and/or money to attend EuroPython?

    I am afraid there is a misunderstanding. I have no problem with PyCon UK
    but would like to have elements to help me choose (the official language
    of PyCon Uno Italy is Italian so that fixes it :p).

    > Diversity is good, so it isn't one vs. the other. And the UK really *is*
    > part of Europe (no matter how its politicians behave) :p

    I agree that diversity is good (you won't hear me say that there are too
    many web frameworks in Python :D) but isn't dilution a danger?

    If Guido was a rock star and I was a groupie, I would want to know which
    festival to attend to see him on stage. I guess there is always Google
    Video ;)

    More seriously in Geneva there were people from all over the place,
    speakers and attendees, which is one of the reason why such conferences
    are interesting (or am I deluded?). It is harder for someone from
    Australia to come twice to Europe in the space of 2 months than for a
    pythoneer lambda to spend a couple of days studying another web
    framework to see if it fits how his brain works and the problem he's got
    to solve.

    Looking at the reactions to my post, I must be wrong. I didn't mean to
    offend anyone if I did. I'll go to Vilnius because I have never seen the
    city and try to go to Birmingham if the program looks interesting (not
    very rational or is it?).

    Cheers,

    EuGeNe -- http://www.3kwa.com

    EuGeNe Van den Bulke, Apr 27, 2007
  7. Fuzzyman wrote:
    > I assume you have the same problem with the Italian one?

    Not so much because the official language of Pycon Uno Italy is Italian
    so I don't feel too concerned (unfortunately my Italian is not quite
    good enough).

    > Seriously though, it is *great* to see the UK Python scene flourishing
    > (and the Italian one). The more events that happen the better, and I
    > don't think they need be in competition with each other... I *hope*
    > the Europython guys don't see it like that.

    I agree it is great to see the Python scene grow (everywhere). The AFPY
    is organizing "journees python francophones" early June too cf.
    http://journees.afpy.org/.

    I have only been to one conference before so I may be under the wrong
    impressions but I don't see how the three events won't be competing for
    Ri (as in Shu Ha Ri) speakers for example. Do I sound like a groupie?

    Alex Martelli, brilliant speaker and Python evangelist (in my Shu Ha
    eyes anyway), lives in the States and is Italian. Busy as you'd expect
    from someone working for Google, decides to make the trip to Europe for
    a Python related conference, henceforth spends 3 1/2 months in Europe so
    he can do Italy in June (he is listed as an organizer), Lithuania in
    July and UK in September...

    I don't know how the EuroPython guys see it.

    Cheers,

    EuGeNe -- http://www.3kwa.com

    EuGeNe Van den Bulke, Apr 27, 2007
  8. On Apr 26, 6:34 pm, EuGeNe Van den Bulke
    <> wrote:
    > I do realize that the UK is not really part of Europe (no polemic :p)
    > but I am nevertheless curious about the logic behind creating another
    > major Python event in Europe. Wasn't EuroPython enough?
    >
    > Like many I am sure, I probably won't be able to attend both (and I
    > really enjoyed the Geneva experience so definitely want to renew "it").
    > How would you go about selecting which conference to attend?
    >
    > They are only 2 months apart, 6 would have been easier for the
    > attendees! Could the organizers liaise one way or another to make
    > Pythoneers life as easy and fun as the language and give as much
    > information out as possible as early as possible (early bird early) for
    > people to make the best decision?
    >
    > I know marketing matters but ...
    >
    > EuGeNe --http://www.3kwa.com

    I don't see the problem. In my view EuroPython is the big event in
    Europe. If you can
    go to only one conference and you have the possibility to travel to
    Vilnius, then go to EuroPython.
    The national conferences are of interest primarily for people of that
    national (of course, not
    exclusively). I would be happy with a conference for any nationality.
    Each nation will have
    its national speakers. EuroPython will have all Europe to chose
    speakers from.
    BTW, this year I will go both to PyCon It and EuroPython, last year I
    went both to
    PyUK and EuroPython. The more, the better ;)

    Michele Simionato

    Michele Simionato, Apr 27, 2007
  9. EuGeNe Van den Bulke <> wrote:

    > Alex Martelli, brilliant speaker and Python evangelist (in my Shu Ha
    > eyes anyway), lives in the States and is Italian. Busy as you'd expect
    > from someone working for Google, decides to make the trip to Europe for
    > a Python related conference, henceforth spends 3 1/2 months in Europe so
    > he can do Italy in June (he is listed as an organizer), Lithuania in
    > July and UK in September...

    I like the kudos, thanks!, but I'm not quite sure what you're saying
    about my travel plans... just to clarify, once again I'll have to miss
    EuroPython _and_ PythonUK, two events I attended most assiduously when I
    was living in Europe (but then, for two years running I've also missed
    PyCon, _despite_ living in the US, sigh).

    Besides Pycon Uno, in my short trip in early June, I hope to also visit
    Cracow, and perhaps give a Python talk at the University there if my
    Polish colleagues can arrange things, but that will be it.

    It's not so much about working for Google, which isn't stopping e.g.
    Guido from attending conferences of his choice -- it's more about my
    also having accepted managerial responsibilities there, which means I
    can't really do my "primary" job all that well by logging in remotely
    from my laptop:).

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Apr 27, 2007
  10. Alex Martelli wrote:
    > I like the kudos, thanks!, but I'm not quite sure what you're saying
    > about my travel plans... just to clarify, once again I'll have to miss
    > EuroPython _and_ PythonUK, two events I attended most assiduously when I
    > was living in Europe (but then, for two years running I've also missed
    > PyCon, _despite_ living in the US, sigh).

    I was just using your possible travel plans as an example to express my
    "concerns" :p

    Re your effective travel plans, thanks God for Google Video then :D

    Cheers,

    EuGeNe -- http://www.3kwa.com

    EuGeNe Van den Bulke, Apr 27, 2007
  11. Michele Simionato wrote:
    > I don't see the problem. In my view EuroPython is the big event in
    > Europe. If you can
    > go to only one conference and you have the possibility to travel to
    > Vilnius, then go to EuroPython.
    > The national conferences are of interest primarily for people of that
    > national (of course, not
    > exclusively).

    Thanks, I didn't see it that way but that was ignorance on my behalf. I
    was WRONGLY under the impression that we were in front of a classical
    European pattern named "what WE can do collectively I can do better
    alone" - known use : European constitution :p (but I am digressing :D).

    > BTW, this year I will go both to PyCon It and EuroPython, last year I
    > went both to
    > PyUK and EuroPython. The more, the better ;)

    The more the merrier indeed in that respect! I learnt a lot from your
    "Using decorators" talk last year. Thanks.

    EuGeNe -- http://www.3kwa.com

    EuGeNe Van den Bulke, Apr 27, 2007
  12. EuGeNe Van den Bulke

    Steve Holden Guest

    EuGeNe Van den Bulke wrote:
    > Steve Holden wrote:
    > > So by this reasoning there should have been no "Python UK" conference
    >> for the last four years (in case you didn't know it ran as a track of
    >> the C/C++ conference, but ths track has now broadened to include all
    >> scripting languages). And what about the people who can't get the time
    >> and/or money to attend EuroPython?

    > I am afraid there is a misunderstanding. I have no problem with PyCon UK
    > but would like to have elements to help me choose (the official language
    > of PyCon Uno Italy is Italian so that fixes it :p).
    >
    >> Diversity is good, so it isn't one vs. the other. And the UK really *is*
    >> part of Europe (no matter how its politicians behave) :p

    > I agree that diversity is good (you won't hear me say that there are too
    > many web frameworks in Python :D) but isn't dilution a danger?
    >
    > If Guido was a rock star and I was a groupie, I would want to know which
    > festival to attend to see him on stage. I guess there is always Google
    > Video ;)
    >
    > More seriously in Geneva there were people from all over the place,
    > speakers and attendees, which is one of the reason why such conferences
    > are interesting (or am I deluded?). It is harder for someone from
    > Australia to come twice to Europe in the space of 2 months than for a
    > pythoneer lambda to spend a couple of days studying another web
    > framework to see if it fits how his brain works and the problem he's got
    > to solve.
    >
    > Looking at the reactions to my post, I must be wrong. I didn't mean to
    > offend anyone if I did. I'll go to Vilnius because I have never seen the
    > city and try to go to Birmingham if the program looks interesting (not
    > very rational or is it?).

    If you're traveling from Australia or similarly distant locations then
    I'd have to say EuroPython would be the one where you'd see most
    Pythonistas from most places.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Apr 28, 2007