[EVALUATION] - E04 - jamPersist Evaluation Case Applied to Ruby

Ilias Lazaridis

[EVALUATION] - E03 - jamLang Evaluation Case Applied to Ruby
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/412943e7c6ed6968

The above thread was exceptionally productive.

http://lazaridis.com/case/lang/ruby.html

[as it looks, i will take ruby as the "reference" and compare other
languages against it]

-

The next (more practical) evaluation is persistence:

http://lazaridis.com/case/persist/index.html

there are ready evaluations of another products, thus you can understand
the sequence easier, e.g.:

http://lazaridis.com/case/persist/schevo.html

you can simply take the above sequence and apply it to the library /
product that you suggest for ruby persistency.

[alternatively, you can just suggest the library/product to use - or
provide a pointer to listing]

..

-

The next (more practical) evaluation is persistence:

I am a little disapointed about the feedback in this thread.
http://lazaridis.com/case/persist/index.html

there are ready evaluations of another products, thus you can understand
the sequence easier, e.g.:

http://lazaridis.com/case/persist/schevo.html

you can simply take the above sequence and apply it to the library /
product that you suggest for ruby persistency.

[alternatively, you can just suggest the library/product to use - or
provide a pointer to listing]

I am aware about 2 products:

Nitro_Og
http://nitro.rubyforge.org/

Rails.ActiveRecord:
http://ar.rubyonrails.com/

any other solutions for ruby persistency?

..

Austin Ziegler

Ilias:

There are numerous solutions for Ruby persistance. See
[ruby-talk:130871] for a long list that I provided you on the 14th of
February.

I think that it's high time you start trying to implement something --
a lot of the things that you're not "getting" will make sense when you
try to implement something, rather than asking everyone else to do
your homework.

-austin

Ilias Lazaridis

Austin said:
Ilias:

There are numerous solutions for Ruby persistance. See
[ruby-talk:130871] for a long list that I provided you on the 14th of
February.

http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/130871

this is not complete information (see below).
I think that it's high time you start trying to implement something --
a lot of the things that you're not "getting" will make sense when you
try to implement something, rather than asking everyone else to do
your homework.

Please do not twist the facts.

I like to collect concise information, which I reuse to present it to
other intresents, thus I reduce their learning and research curve.

jamLang.Ruby is the first step:
http://lazaridis.com/case/lang/ruby.html

jamPersist.Ruby.??? is the second step:
http://lazaridis.com/case/persist/index.html

step for what?

To showcase (busy) evaluators within 20 min. the superiority of ruby.

in a direct, quick and simple comparison to other languages / systems.

-

This should be of intrest for the ruby community.

A simple give an take.

-

But as it looks, I have to do all the work myself.

-

I've looked at rubyforge:

http://rubyforge.org/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=66
http://rubyforge.org/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=68

just ActiveRecord and Og seem to be relevant for this evaluation.

..

Martin Ankerl

I like to collect concise information, which I reuse to present it to
other intresents, thus I reduce their learning and research curve.

All the information you are looking for is easily available here:
http://www.google.com/

Just in case this is not enough, a good resource for more information is
here:
http://www.amazon.de/

This should be of intrest for the ruby community.
A simple give an take.

How many evaluators have already used your evaluations, do you have any
major references to show the relevance of your studies?

But as it looks, I have to do all the work myself.

That's true, you should try to do your work by yourself, you cannot
expect others to do your work for free.

martinus

Kirk Haines

Ilias said:
I've looked at rubyforge:

http://rubyforge.org/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=66
http://rubyforge.org/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=68

just ActiveRecord and Og seem to be relevant for this evaluation.

I have skipped a lot of this thread. However, if you are talking about
persistence layers, there are MANY more than that.

Kansas (http://enigo.com/projects/kansas), Lafcadio
(http://lafcadio.rubyforge.org), Criteria ([not an ORM, but a layer for SQL
abstraction] http://mephle.org/Criteria), Madeline, Pstore, and KirbyBase
pop immediately to mind.

Kirk Haines

Dick Davies

* Ilias Lazaridis said:
jamPersist.Ruby.??? is the second step:
http://lazaridis.com/case/persist/index.html

step for what?

To showcase (busy) evaluators within 20 min. the superiority of ruby.

in a direct, quick and simple comparison to other languages / systems.
This should be of intrest for the ruby community.

A simple give an take.

There is no 'give' from you Ilias, you are just pootling amay at
'EVALUATION's nobody will ever read. Like you have been for years.

If people want to know about Ruby they could ask on the list quite
easily. We put up with any number of questions, you are living proof
of that.
-

But as it looks, I have to do all the work myself.

Good idea.

Ilias Lazaridis

Kirk said:
I have skipped a lot of this thread. However, if you are talking about
persistence layers, there are MANY more than that.

Kansas (http://enigo.com/projects/kansas),

seems to be in development.

status: alpha.

-

http://enigo.com/projects/kansas/tutorial/why_use_it.html

contains SQL code.

missed requirement: transparency

-

product rejected.

"It currently supports MySQL. in the future it will support a wide range
of databases."

missed requirement: support multiple databases.

-

product rejected.
, Criteria ([not an ORM, but a layer for SQL
abstraction] http://mephle.org/Criteria),

SQL-centric: rejected.
Madeline, Pstore, and KirbyBase pop immediately to mind.

requirements: stable or at least a beta, transparency, multiple datastores.

?

(still, just ActiveRecord and Og pass the initial requirements)

Kirk Haines

Ilias said:
seems to be in development.

status: alpha.

AR is in development, too. I should probably update that info, but the fact
is that Kansas is a lightweight, simple, stable system with fairly few
"unimplemented features" (my buzzword for bugs ;) used across a veriety of
production applications, in one version or another, for well over a year
and currently servicing several million transactions a day. So, it
probably should not be listed as alpha, though the version number will stay
low because it isn't what I want it to be, yet.

As for "Contains SQL code". What are you talking about?

sodiums = dbh.select:)Chemicals, :Manufacturers) do |c,m|
(c.chemical_name =~ '%sodium%') && (c.manufacturer.name =~ '%flynn%')
end

chlorides = dbh.select:)Chemicals) {|c| c.chemical_name =~ '%chloride%'}

sodium_chlorides = sodiums & chlorides

sodium_chlorides.each {|x| x.chemical_name = x.chemical_name.upcase}

That hardly looks like SQL.

Kirk Haines

Ilias Lazaridis

Kirk said:
AR is in development, too. I should probably update that info, but the fact
is that Kansas is a lightweight, simple, stable system with fairly few
"unimplemented features" (my buzzword for bugs ;) used across a veriety of
production applications, in one version or another, for well over a year
and currently servicing several million transactions a day. So, it
probably should not be listed as alpha,

yes, you should change this.
though the version number will stay
low because it isn't what I want it to be, yet.

As for "Contains SQL code". What are you talking about?

I've provide a link:

http://enigo.com/projects/kansas/tutorial/why_use_it.html

I've overflow the document - and have overseen "The ordinary way".

You should possibly focus on the strength of your product, and show
immediately this compact code:

"
def getData
result = []
application.dbpool.getConnection do |ksdbh|
ksdbh.select('DailyNav').each do |nav|
result.push nav
end
end
result
end

"

..

Jacob Fugal

I've provide a link:

http://enigo.com/projects/kansas/tutorial/why_use_it.html

I've overflow the document - and have overseen "The ordinary way".

When others direct you at helpful links, try reading the document
instead of "overflowing" it then making knee-jerk posts. The "Ordinary
Way" section is a detail of what is necessary *without* Kansas (or
some other ORM layer). It is _immediately_ followed by the improved
code Kansas instead allows you to write.

I've been lurking on this thread and giving you the benefit of the
doubt, Ilias. But this sort of "research" confirms the suspicions of
others. You are at best lazy, trying to get others to do your work; at
worst a troll.

Jacob Fugal

-

The next (more practical) evaluation is persistence:

http://lazaridis.com/case/persist/index.html

there are ready evaluations of another products, thus you can understand
the sequence easier, e.g.:

http://lazaridis.com/case/persist/schevo.html

you can simply take the above sequence and apply it to the library /
product that you suggest for ruby persistency.

[alternatively, you can just suggest the library/product to use - or
provide a pointer to listing]

As it looks, I will make the evaluations by myself.

Thanks for any postive assistance so far.

..

Ben Giddings

please avoid further off-topic comments.

class FightClubRules
# 1
def to_s
""
end

# 2
def inspect
""
end

# 3
def over?
@fighters.each do |f|
return true if f.limp? or f.gets =~ /stop!/
end
false
end

# 4
def add_fighter(fighter)
@fighters ||= []
@fighters.size <= 2 or raise "Too many fighters!"
@fighters << fighter
end

# 5
include Singleton

# 6
def clothing_valid?
@fighters.each do |f|
return false if f.clothing.include?:)shirt) or
f.clothing.include?:)shoes)
end
true
end

# 7
def timer_expired?; false; end

# 8
def initialize(crowd)
crowd.each do |visitor|
if visitor.first_visit?
add_fighter(visitor)
end
end
end
end

Glenn Parker

Jacob said:
I've been lurking on this thread and giving you the benefit of the
doubt, Ilias. But this sort of "research" confirms the suspicions of
others. You are at best lazy, trying to get others to do your work; at
worst a troll.

I think I've figured it out: he's actually an Eliza program. This would
easily explain his inability to produce truly original or thoughtful
avoid further off-topic comments."