Event code: 3005 - An unhandled exception has occurred

Guest

Hello

I have an ASP.NET 2 intranet application written in C#. I use Active
Directory authentication and parts of the application uses AJAX.

From time to time (about once every 200-300 accesses at least) I get the
following error on the server:

Event code: 3005
Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
Exception information:
Exception type: ArgumentException
Exception message: An entry with the same key already exists.
Thread information:
Thread ID: 5
Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Is impersonating: False
Stack trace: at
System.Collections.Specialized.ListDictionary.Add(Object key, Object value)
at System.Web.UI.ClientScriptManager.RegisterScriptBlock(ScriptKey key,
String script, ListDictionary& scriptBlocks, ArrayList& scriptList, Boolean
needsScriptTags, Boolean& inScriptBlock)
at System.Web.UI.ClientScriptManager.RegisterScriptBlock(ScriptKey key,
String script, ClientAPIRegisterType type)
at System.Web.UI.ClientScriptManager.RegisterClientScriptInclude(Type
type, String key, String url)
at
System.Web.UI.ScriptRegistrationManager.RegisterClientScriptInclude(Control
control, Type type, String key, String url)
at
System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterClientScriptIncludeInternal(Control
control, Type type, String key, String url)
at System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterScripts()
at System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.OnPagePreRenderComplete(Object sender,
EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Page.OnPreRenderComplete(EventArgs e)

The page that is throwing this error has an AJAX tab control in it, uses a
master page and has the usual sprinkling of asp.net controls. There is no
code behind on the page.

Any ideas on why I'm getting this error, or a pointer in the right
direction, would be much appreciated.

Zinon

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Zinon,

I've used Reflector (http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/) to check the
ClientScriptManager.RegisterScriptBlock, and found the code is like
following:

if (scriptBlocks == null)
{
scriptBlocks = new ListDictionary();
}
if (scriptBlocks[key] == null)
{
scriptBlocks.Add(key, script);

This means the only possible cause that might throw an "An entry with the
same key already exists" will be that there's already an item in the
scriptBlocks that has null value:

ListDictionary dict = new ListDictionary();
object key = GetType();
dict.Add(key, null);
if (dict[key] == null)
{
dict.Add(key, "Hello");
}

Please check if your code might be passing a null script block to those
functions that are used to register script blocks.

If in doubt, please feel free to post more code of your WebForm. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.