Event not firing in datalist control

Richard Murphy

I've been on this problem for many hours now and checked many posts and
forums but can still not find an answer. I hope someone can help.

I have a Datalist with a template column in it which contains a button. The
datalist is in an ascx control that is loaded dynamically by the parent aspx
control. The problem the 'itemcommand' event is no longer being fired on
postback in response to the users click. I have tried everything. The event
is definitely wired up - the datalist is only bound once within the
!Page.Ispostback statement. The event was firing once before and now,
although I have changed nothing within the code that I know, all of a sudden
it does not. There is a possibility that something in one of the parent
containers controls has changed that could effect it but nothing that I know
of. I have tried creating a separate aspx page and replicating the datalist
there - the event fires no problem in this - it just doesn't work in the
child ascx controls. Any ideas?

Any help would be really, really appreciated.

Regards

Richard Murphy
espod.net

Richard Murphy

OK - it's solved!

It seems a change had been made to the parent control of the control with
the datalist in it that caused it to get loaded in the 'inializecomponent'
function. which screwed up the viewstate for the datalist.

Brandon Nickelson

Hello,

I am doing something very similar and running into a problem. I am
pulling in a datalist control from an ascx page and trying to bind
data to it on the aspx.vb page. No matter what I do, I can't get it to
display. I can response.write datalist.items.count and it says there
are items in there.

Do you have a code snippet that I could see to help me out?

Thanks,
Brandon