    Francis was working on. Is there any status updates? I peeked in the
    mailing list archive for Eventmachine but didn't seen anything new in
    there.

    Mark Haliday, Jan 17, 2007

  2. Mark Haliday

    Mark Haliday Guest

    Jason Roelofs wrote:

    > Just a warning, the pure-Ruby EM is dog slow comparatively. I'd suggest
    > using the native version if you can.

    This is something I'm wondering about. I've seen and used Twisted for
    Python and its robust and can handle large amounts of traffic. I wonder
    why Ruby seems to lack the robustness in the arena of sockets, etc. that
    Python seems to have no issues with? Perhaps I'm seeing this all wrong,
    so please correct me. Eventmachine as it is now is coded in C or C++,
    correct? Yet even with the improvements in the Ruby core for sockets
    the pure implementation of EM is going to be much slower. I have to
    think Ruby has some issues still then in the arena of sockets? Will
    YARV help any?

    Mark Haliday, Jan 17, 2007

  3. Mark Haliday

    Guest

    On Jan 17, 2007, at 8:54 PM, Francis Cianfrocca wrote:

    > (snip)
    > By the way, is anyone interested in joining the team? Tony is now
    > an EM
    > committer and I'd like to have some more. Especially people who
    > know a lot
    > about Twisted. I want to see EM match Twisted's feature set. As far as
    > stability is concerned, EM is in a very good place now, but it
    > needs a lot
    > more features, a lot more documentation, case studies, and evangelism.

    I'm looking at adding netstrings support to EM so it's easier to add
    new text-based protocols. I don't have an immediate need so I haven't
    worked on this yet, but it's on my list. I'll be sure to wrap it up
    in tests and write the appropriate docs too.

    cr
    , Jan 18, 2007